Single Outbound Port issues - Too difficult for Verizon!
madbeatz
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have a very strange issue which Version support cannot work out.

I have a location (let’s call it Location A) in the UK with a few open ports. Well since around the 28th Jan, I have not been able to connect to any of those open ports from my Verizon location. I have two laptops (a Mac and a PC) and also a PC Desktop and a IPad. Using either of these devices from my Verizon location to connect to location A has proved unsuccessful (times out or web page cannot be displayed error message) However I can connect to location A using the internet on my phone or from another friend’s house in the US.  I am also able to connect to location A from a few other locations in the UK.  

The Internet Service Provider in the UK (2nd line support) have carried out various checks and confirmed that they have not (and they don’t) block IP Addresses. They have not been able to carry out any further checks as the issue only seems to stem from my Verizon location. I have disabled any firewall on my Verizon router and confirmed with Verizon support that my router has not been patched recently.

I am at loss on what to do next. Verizon customer support does not have the depth of knowledge of Verizon’s infrastructure and lack the in-depth technical skills to trouble shoot my issue. Has anyone ever come across this issue before? I am really at a loss here.

Tags (2)
0 Likes
Re: Single Outbound Port issues - Too difficult for Verizon!
abhi_col
Contributor - Level 3

@madbeatz wrote:

I have a very strange issue which Version support cannot work out.

I have a location (let’s call it Location A) in the UK with a few open ports. Well since around the 28th Jan, I have not been able to connect to any of those open ports from my Verizon location. I have two laptops (a Mac and a PC) and also a PC Desktop and a IPad. Using either of these devices from my Verizon location to connect to location A has proved unsuccessful (times out or web page cannot be displayed error message) However I can connect to location A using the internet on my phone or from another friend’s house in the US.  I am also able to connect to location A from a few other locations in the UK.  

The Internet Service Provider in the UK (2nd line support) have carried out various checks and confirmed that they have not (and they don’t) block IP Addresses. They have not been able to carry out any further checks as the issue only seems to stem from my Verizon location. I have disabled any firewall on my Verizon router and confirmed with Verizon support that my router has not been patched recently.

I am at loss on what to do next. Verizon customer support does not have the depth of knowledge of Verizon’s infrastructure and lack the in-depth technical skills to trouble shoot my issue. Has anyone ever come across this issue before? I am really at a loss here.

Can you give us more details? What ports are blocked? Did you run a traceroute to the remote location? If so can you post the traceroute results? 

0 Likes
madbeatz
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi Abhi,

Trace route sent to you by private message.

All ports are not accessible. But this is ONLY from my Verizon location. If i try from somewhere else I get a connection.

Thanks

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Verizon doesn't block ports at their gateway routers except for outbound port 25.

The Verizon router blocks ports

Personal Firewall's block ports

I know you mentioned you disabled the firewall in the router, but have you thought about verifying your port forward entries, and if so can you post them here so we can make sure you have them set correctly? 

If you think you have a bad route to the destination, then that is a different description, but after reading through your message more thoroughly, it sounds like that may be more the case.  

Try this as well.  

Actiontec MI424-WR

• Click on MY NETWORK icon at the top.
  • Select NETWORK CONNECTIONS from the menu on the left.
  • Select BROADBAND CONNECTION (coax or ethernet) depending on your connection to the ONT.
  • Click SETTINGS
  • Click RELEASE
  • Click APPLY
  • Disconnect the router immediately to prevent it from re-requesting a DHCP lease. (do not hesitate or you will grab an IP Address right away which defeats the purpose of this altogether)

Leave it turned off for 10-15 minutes, and then reconnect it.

The goal is to get a new ip and a new route to the destination.

Take note of what the IP is before and after  

go to www.whatismyip.org 

make sure the first three octets are different. 

0 Likes
madbeatz
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi Hubrisnxs,

Thank you for taking the time to help me with this issue.

One of the first things I did was to get a new IP address at both ends, here in the US and also at the destination address in the UK. This failed to work however I have tried again today and the first three octets have changed but this has not resolved the issue.

As previously mentioned, the issue is outbound from my Verizon connection not inbound.

An example port is gullyside1.no-ip.org:5000 or port 21

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

that would imply it's not a routing issue,    what is the exact message when you can't connect to their server, and what ftp are you using, and do you know what ftp they are using? 

And verify that you are set up for Passive FTP 

General Rule of thumb is If you are hosting the web server on your own network or not?

If the answer is no, you'll need to contact your hosting company -

if the webserver is on your network you should be able to connect to it with no issues other than your pc's firewall and allowing the program full access in the programs exception list.  If you know what firewall I Can look up a how to guide to verify the program is not being blocked (ie norton, mcafee, windows firewall etc...)

Port forwarding is used to allow incoming connections to servers behind your firewall.

0 Likes
madbeatz
Enthusiast - Level 2

It not just FTP access...I have a number of other application/devices configured on various ports at my other location in the the UK and I am not able to connect to any of them from my Verizon location.

If I use Filezilla from my Verizon location to try and connect to my UK location via port 21 first it resolves the dynamic host name then connection times out. If I use a web browser (Internet Explorer or Chrome  to try to connect to the other ports, it times out on Chrome this is the error message I get (Error 101 (net::ERR_CONNECTION_RESET): The connection was reset.).

I am confident if you try, you will get a connection

0 Likes
madbeatz
Enthusiast - Level 2

Just to add, Location in the UK is not a webserver. I have a few webcams, Networked NAS drive and a FTP server all on different ports on the router.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

ya I get there just fine via web. 

Try a new router,   Run by one of the local verizon stores and do an over the counter exchange.    Especially if you know 100% your set up is good.  

FiOS Store Locator | FiOS TV, FiOS Internet & Phone | Verizon

0 Likes
madbeatz
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hubrisnxs. I am confident of my setup as It can be accessed from everywhere else. Just wanted to understand root cause to mitigate any repeats. I have asked the UK Internet Service Provider to check for Ip and MAC address blocking throughout their infrastructure (incase my Verizon setup has incorrectly filtered to protect against ddos type attacks).

I will take up your suggestion as another course of root cause elimination. Many thanks for your time with this.