Slingbox Setup - ActionTec MI404WR Rev 1 Router
akuska1
Enthusiast - Level 1

Has anyone had success recently setting up a Slingbox with this router? I am having difficulty getting a Sling Box Solo set up on an ActionTec router. It worked fine previously on an Apple Time Capsule hooked up to a Time Warner Cable modem.

Sling's online setup indicates that it cannot locate the Slingbox. If I show the directory, it comes up but won't connect.

I have the Sling Box connected directly to one of the Ethernet ports on the router (I believe it is the one with the IP address 192.168.1.5).

Sling's website has this manual method, but it appears the Firewall Settings screens have changed a bit.

http://pfsetup.slingmedia.com/router/setup/161?sbip=192.168.1.237&sbport=5001&gwip=192.168.1.1

In any case, I did attempt to create a new port forwarding rule for 192.167.1.237 or 192.168.1.5 using the "Sling Box" service that does appear, but to no avail. Sling still can't find the Slingbox and won't complete setting it up.

Tags (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Slingbox Setup - ActionTec MI404WR Rev 1 Router
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

First thing you want to do is assign the Slingbox a static IP address (this is done at the Slingbox).  Otherwise if you leave the Slingbox as DHCP, it may get a different DHCP address whenever the router reboots.

On the port forwarding screen, select Specify IP from the first pulldown.

In the entry box that appears, enter the static IP of the Slibbox.

IIn the second pulldown, select Custom Ports.

Select Protocol=TCP

Leasve Source port as ANY

Destination Port, select Specify

In the entry box that appears, enter 5001

Leave the remaining pulldowns as they are.

Click APPLY

You should be good to go.

View solution in original post

Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

First thing you want to do is assign the Slingbox a static IP address (this is done at the Slingbox).  Otherwise if you leave the Slingbox as DHCP, it may get a different DHCP address whenever the router reboots.

On the port forwarding screen, select Specify IP from the first pulldown.

In the entry box that appears, enter the static IP of the Slibbox.

IIn the second pulldown, select Custom Ports.

Select Protocol=TCP

Leasve Source port as ANY

Destination Port, select Specify

In the entry box that appears, enter 5001

Leave the remaining pulldowns as they are.

Click APPLY

You should be good to go.

akuska1
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks. I had to reset my Slingbox, but it looks like I'll be able to get it set up.

0 Likes