Slow Connection Speed
sabfish1

I have the regular FIOS internet service (as well as TV and phone.  I believe the speed should be at least 10 MBPS down and 2 up.  On various speed tests, including Verizon's own I get approx. 5 down and 2 up.  The speed is the same on a Windows XP computer hard wired to the router and on a Vista computer connected wirelessly.  I have run the Verizon speed optimizer without any improvement.  Suggestions for next steps?

0 Likes
Re: Slow Connection Speed
cjacobs001
Contributor - Level 3

could be anything, really.   try doing a 'hard reset' to the router.    depress and hold in for 15 seconds the reset button on the back side of the router (the side where the cables connect to the router).   the proper way to do that would be to, first, turn off the computers connected to it.   then do the hard reset, then wait until the internet light comes back on, on the router, then turn the computer connected to the router via ethernet, back on.  then do the speed test again.   if it is not improved, get a tcp\ip optimizer and run on each pc (personally, i like the one available at speedguidedotnet) (they're free).  note that if you have to computers connected to one router at same time, it may affect your speed test results.  also note that your wireless speed will never be as good as the wired speed, except for maybe 802.11n if you use that.

0 Likes