Slow Download Speed - Tampa
w0rd
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi,

For the last 2 months I have had slow download speeds but tech support refuses to help me because I can get normal speeds to my nearest hub, but ANY hub beyond that is useless.

I am in Tampa and using the speed check at verizon.net/speedtest I get...

Alabama -

Your download speed is 0.788 Mbps.   

Your upload speed is 36.182 Mbps.   

Georgia -

Your download speed is 0.574 Mbps

Your upload speed is 36.263 Mbps

Florida  -

Your download speed is 42.578 Mbps

Your upload speed is 35.926 Mbps.

Almost every hub I have tried is the same slow download speed, except for Arizona, for some reason that one gives me decent results. These results are repeatable every time.

My package is 35/35. So as long as I only connect to web servers in Florida, my internet is fine, but anything else is unusable. The Verizon tech support person said I should clear my browser history, and said that those speedtest results only work in your own area. OK whatever.

Speedtest.net testing out of Ft. Myers is giving me 1.24 Mbps down and 14.78 Mbps up.

Speakeasy.net testing out of Atlanta is giving me 12.23 Mbps down and 23.63 Mbps up.

Both speedtest and speakeasy give me wildly different results at different times of the day. Ranging from 0.5 Mbps to 40 Mbps.

All speed tests were run just now.

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Slow Download Speed - Tampa
w0rd
Enthusiast - Level 2

Issue is possibly resolved. Rebooted gateway at the CO. 1000 customers were affected.

Sucks that we had to fight to get something done.This could have been resolved a long time ago if our local network tech knew how the internet works. That should be a qualification for any network job. You should know what the internet is.

View solution in original post

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Are the speeds where they should be in the morning to all servers, or do they remain the same regardless of what time of day it is? My guess would be there is a router or a backbone being overloaded leaving the Tampa/Florida area. Those things should be load balanced, so perhaps something went wrong and hasn't been noticed yet.

0 Likes
nick_d
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have been having the same issue. Went through everything with the tech and they decided my router may have been malfunctioning. They sent a new one... but it's the same deal. I can barely watch a youtube video or stream anything. Even this support site loads incredibly slow - I'm so frustrated that I'm paying for second tier speed but achieving less than my old cable modem speeds. The jitter on my ping test was disappointing (75ms ping time and 53ms jitter) and when I perform a trace route it hangs just before leaving the fios pool and entering verizon-gni.net. Tracing from my IP to another fios ip in the same city returned 98ms response time from one of the hops and 100% packet loss.

My machine's firewalls are off, only the built-in firewall on the router is on and it's set to allow all incoming and outgoing data during these tests. I don't know what else to do. Is there a top tier support team who can make sure traffic is being routed correctly in the area?

Nick

w0rd
Enthusiast - Level 2

Nick,

You wouldn't happen to be in the Seffner/North Brandon area? I have talked to a bunch of people and the only person having a similar problem is another friend that lives in the same area as me.

I never had a problem until a major thunderstorm we had about a month ago. The power was out for about 5-6 hours and ever since then I have had a problem with this. I don't notice any difference based on time of day, it's really random.

jaegertech
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thought I would chime in to note that I am in Seffner and my download speeds have been intermittently poor lately. I'm getting acceptable upload speeds just about anywhere, but downloads are often under 2 mbit.

jaball77
Enthusiast - Level 2

Also in Seffner, same symptoms.  Verizon is sending me a new router but somehow I have a feeling it's not going to fix anything.

flbeachtiger
Enthusiast - Level 2

We are just over 75 from Seffner (MLK and Faulkenburg).

No problems at all.

nick_d
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yes, I am in the Seffner area - youtube is painfully slow. In fact I think you're right, when the storm went through and killed all the power a few weeks back is when my speeds dipped. I get download and upload speeds the way I should but when it comes to multimedia delivery it's like I am back on dial-up. GOTTA get this fixed soon.

update: also received a new router - set to factory default and the problem persists. It's not an issue with any of our home routers, the problem lies further up the chain. Anyone know someone at support who could pass this on to a VZ network engineer?

Drinklime
Enthusiast - Level 1
I am in tampa and my internet is now completely out. But my fios tv still works... Something is seriously wrong with the network
jaball77
Enthusiast - Level 2

New router did not fix my problem.  They are sending out another tech.  I explained that a tech had already been out, and they assured me that this tech would "be more thorough"  and implied that they would be testing fiber in the area.  We'll see.