Slow Fios speeds in my area for the last month
Jeepty

Hello,

For that last month my fios internet download speeds in the evenings, approx 6pm to midnight, have been between 100kb and 4 mb. It used to average about 21 mb. the tech support via the phone can see that there is a problem in my area thought they don't know what it is. They say, "my screen shows that is should be resolved by 10 am tomorrow". It never is.

I live in the the southern california area, the Inland Empire. Does anybody know when the problem, and what the problem is, in this area will be resolved? This has become ridiculous and I am seriuosly considering a change of service provider.

Thanks.

0 Likes
Re: Slow Fios speeds in my area for the last month
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

Hi Jeepty,

Your issue has been escalated to a Verizon agent. Before the agent can begin assisting you, they will need to collect further information from you. Please go to your profile page for the forum and look at the top of the middle column where you will find an area titled "My Support Cases". You can reach your profile page by clicking on your name beside your post, or at the top left of this page underneath the title of the board.

Under "My Support Cases" you will find a link to the private board where you and the agent may exchange information. This should be checked on a frequent basis, as the agent may be waiting for information from you before they can proceed with any actions. Please keep all correspondence regarding your issue in the private support portal.

0 Likes
Slow Fios speeds in my area for the last month
Jeepty

Hello, I had previously posted the following:

"Hello,

For that last month my fios internet download speeds in the evenings, approx 6pm to midnight, have been between 100kb and 4 mb. It used to average about 21 mb. the tech support via the phone can see that there is a problem in my area thought they don't know what it is. They say, "my screen shows that is should be resolved by 10 am tomorrow". It never is.

I live in the the southern california area, the Inland Empire. Does anybody know when the problem, and what the problem is, in this area will be resolved? This has become ridiculous and I am seriously considering a change of service provider.

Thanks."

I received a reply that a support case had been generated and that verizon needed more information from me to better help. I went through their private channels like they requested only to be told that it is a problem in my area, and that it is estimated to be fixed in the next few days. Gee, that sounds familiar. However, they did offer to check back with me in the future to see how my service is doing. My original post appears to be locked, so that I cannot update or reply to it.

0 Likes
Jeepty

New support case messages say that a "ticket exists for the outage".

I hope its more then just a sticky note on someone's desk....

0 Likes
Jeepty

Problem still exists. At this moment I have my internet connection running though my smartphone. The fios speed is so slow that the Google home page takes 4 minutes to load.

0 Likes
Jeepty

Still has not been resolved. They must be waiting for fiber optic cable to come across on the boat from China...

0 Likes
Jeepty
this has still not yet been resolved. i did get a text message today
telling me the problem has been fixed, yet here i am logging in through my phone since my fios connection is to slow to even log in to a forum...
0 Likes
Verizon_Support
Customer Service Rep

Jeepty, we are showing the issue has been resolved and all the trouble cleared. At this time we are closing your Private Support Case. If you have any other questions or concerns please feel free to make a new post and we will be happy to address them.

-Adam_VZ

0 Likes
Cereth

I'm not sure if the OP has solved his problem but since last Wednesday I have been experiencing incredibly slow and erratic internet. I have already tried using Verizon support chat; they reset the ONT and the router, and I personally have already factory reset the router and tried doing the standard 30/30/30 but nothing has changed at all. If I use the Verizon speedtest, it always comes back normal (58/40) but if I use www.speedtest.net, most of the time the test will either say 1mbps, or it will 'claim' ~50mps, and then halfway through the download test just stop and never finish. Windows update is taking forever, on one of my other PCs (every PC is hardwired, no wireless at all) a 60mb windows update literally took over 2 hours to complete.

Even right now I'm trying to download something from my MSDN subscription and it's not even breaking 1MB/s. Steam also is experiencing similar download issues, it will sometimes spike to the normal 7MB/s, and then drop back down to either 10-20KB/s or sometimes just stop downloading all togethor.  Netflix also will slow down constantly, sometimes only able to stream 235, which isn't even watchable. And sometimes all togethor Netflix will just stop playing.

This is becoming incredibly frustrating and constant internet issues is the exact reason why I left Comcast many years back, and if this continues I'm sadly going to have to go back to their terrible service to escape this unexcusable service.

I'm sick of dealing with Vz customer service techs who while are very nice, seem to not understand anything I am telling them and basically glaze over any kind of useful information I try to relay to them. They always just tell me to install the VzOptimizer (already tried, does nothing) and they just reset the ONT and the router.

This is my current hardware setup:

Actiontec MI424RW Rev. I

4 High-end desktop PCs

All hardwired with Cat6

I have tried unplugging everyone but 1 PC, as well as tried multiple ports, all with the exact same issue. I have tried even using an old wireless laptop just to make sure it wasn't part of the GigE Switch.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: I have also read someone else having a similar issue on the west coast and they claimed that their issue was related to their 'PON Card', is this related to the ONT or to where the fibre goes to the street and connects with the main lines?

After writing this post, I just did another www.speedtest.net test and it came back normal, but my downloads are still going under 1MB/s....

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2980902600.png

This is what it looks like if I change to the server it normall tests however,

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2980912906.png

0 Likes