Slow Gigabit Speeds
nycbhoy1

So just upgraded from 150/150 to gigabit service and get a max 400 for download speed. Upload speeds seem to be in the 900s. Doesn't matter what device (mac mini, dell laptop, iPhone, iPad etc) or wired or wireless. Download speed isn't working correctly. The tech just left and basically said it was working correctly and that maybe my equipment couldn't handle the speeds and then said you're not supposed to get gigabit speed. It's supposed to be a gigabit across three or four devices meaning a max 300 per device. 

What at a joke. Is anyone else seeing consistent slow download speeds and has anyone found a fix??

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Slow Gigabit Speeds
jonjones1
Legend

@Davidmp wrote:

Same thing here. Upgraded to Gigabit service and I am getting 150/80 speed on an Alienwear with Killer e2200 Gigabit Ethernet Controller. The router test shows 980/900. What gives? 

The speeds from my desktop are actually slower than when I had the 150/150 service! 

Unfortunately Verizon only accepts the speed from their proprietary server to your home router. Nothing else is accepted. You are getting the up to speed. WiFi and device speed to your router from your device is not considered a Fios issue.

View solution in original post

Rony_Gonzalez

You are not alone, I just sign up for the Gigabit bundle, got fiber run through my house and the original speed test was at 400/900. As of today I can't get more than 250/250, so I created a repair request and the tech did a Verizon Speed test which shows a connection of 950/950 from My home to their Network, so yes, to their network the speed is fine but not getting the 950/950 to the real Internet which is what they were offering. So, on the phone with them to get this fixed or service terminated.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@Rony_Gonzalez wrote:

You are not alone, I just sign up for the Gigabit bundle, got fiber run through my house and the original speed test was at 400/900. As of today I can't get more than 250/250, so I created a repair request and the tech did a Verizon Speed test which shows a connection of 950/950 from My home to their Network, so yes, to their network the speed is fine but not getting the 950/950 to the real Internet which is what they were offering. So, on the phone with them to get this fixed or service terminated.

This is quite common. Yes you/we are paying for full gigabyte speeds but the test to Verizon's proprietary network speed test is the only test Verizon will accept.

the reason being in the real world you would encounter loss hops, unreachable sites, bad dns, and a myriad of other conditions including congestion and weather.

verizon in their written ad states "up to 940/880" however up to can be interpreted as any speeds above or below those thresholds. This could be dependent on your router, your cables, your computer and other peripherals in your use.

unfortunately this is a decision you must make in what speed you will settle for.

Good Luck

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

How are are you testing?

Verizon only guarantees access to their network.

and not on WiFi.

so you should test to speedtest.Verizon.net with a wired connection.

nycbhoy1

I am testing on a Mac mini with a wired connection. Mac mini is literally a foot from the router. Speedtest.net or the Verizon speed test site shows no more than 400 download speed. Wifi is lower. 

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@nycbhoy wrote:

I am testing on a Mac mini with a wired connection. Mac mini is literally a foot from the router. Speedtest.net or the Verizon speed test site shows no more than 400 download speed. Wifi is lower. 

Call 1-800-VERIZON 

choose fios tech support. You need to be provisioned properly.

sometimes after you get the higher speeds the ont must be set properly.

also you must reset the router via unplugging it wait 30 seconds and plug it back in.

then test the speed at the Verizon Speedtest site.

Good Luck

0 Likes
Gmdsr

Same problem.  Had tech here and said Verizon was find.  WIFI gave him 300 mps down load and he said that is the wifi speed.   Showed him speed test on my devices include andriod phone Nexus 6 Motorola gave 190mps.  The desktop ranged from 26mps download to 90mps.  Although the upload at times gave 917mps.  Never got the speeds either wifi or hard wired using CAT 6 cable to a desktop running Windows 7 home.  I think I am going to test the line before the router.  I have a suspicion it maybe their router.  Will have to test before router and at ont box for what's coming in.   This is obviously a problem that no one on verizon's side it acknowledging. 

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

You are talking gigabyte speeds, right?

yes the wifi numbers 300/400 etc would be about right. However a hard connection ethernet to router from computer desktop/notebook/laptop should be around 940/880 to Verizon's speed test site which is a proprietary network.

depending on net congestion and other factors using sites like speedtest.net will give +/- speeds. It is a real world test not using a proprietary network.

in certain instances the speeds are not provisioned correctly or you may have a bad router or bad cable. All of which you should test.

0 Likes
Tesfaye1

I'm having the same problem, and we can forgo the chatter about "it says UP TO...".  This is really simple, at the outset I saw ~880/950 during tests, and a Steam game download purred along at 68+MB (megaBYTES)/sec no problem.  A day later, I don't see more than ~95Mb (megaBITS) up or down.  I was able to achieve the advertised speeds using the Verizon router and my own ASUS router (1GB on the WAN port). 

I always hit the 150Mb mark prior to upgrading (was a 150/150 subscriber).  I had a feeling this would happen, but I didn't think I'd see speeds consistently below my previous package.   If this can't be resolved, I'll happily switch to cable.   The only positive thing I can say about Verizon Fios is that they do compensate you when issues arise, but there's always an issue after dealing with support.    I have to put some time aside to call them and also plug in the Verizon router and test again.  Again, I didn't have any issues with my previous package and I routinely bragged about bandwidth and latency consistency.  Can't say that about the gigabit package.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

It is what it is. You not wanting to hear it does not make it so.

if the speeds are that bad call 1-800-VERIZON and have them troubleshoot the issue.

they only support their own routers. So yes put it back in service. You could then put your other router in access mode and then it is supported.

if you cannot get satisfaction then by all means jump to cable.

0 Likes