Switch Account

Slow Speed on Own Router

Slow Speed on Own Router

Contributor Zurich
Contributor
Message 1 of 3
(253 Views)

Hi All,

Apologies for a repeat topic, but I can't seem to find a solution.

Today a VZ tech installed an ONT in my apartment, plugged into the VZ modem (Quantum gateway). I did some speed test (speedtest.net) and was getting roughly the 200/200 I ordered.

Once the tech left, I released the DCHP lease, unplugged the Quantum, and plugged in my ASUS RT-AC1200. Originally, speed tests were very poor (20/10). Now they're at around 25-30/100. I deactivated QoS (Traffic Manager) and hard reset the router, but I can't get anywhere close to the 200/200 I was getting on the Quantum Gateway.

From everything I've read, it seems like it should be plug and play given my router can handle the speed. I don't have any custom firmware installed.

Any ideas? Thanks so much for any help in advance!

2 REPLIES 2
Gold Contributor VI Gold Contributor VI
Gold Contributor VI
Message 2 of 3
(229 Views)

One issue you might have is according to the specs of that router the WAN/LAN ports are  both 10/100 BaseT. So the max speed you are going to get from that router is 100/100 mbps. 

The other issue is if you have already reset the router and your only getting 30 mbps down you might just have a bad router. Also try a different ethernet cable and LAN port when testing. Try couple different test servers when speed testing. 

Contributor RyDogg1
Contributor
Message 3 of 3
(202 Views)

Wierd this has happened to me too.  I recently upgraded from 150/150 to 1GB and reset my router to get the new speeds and it's actually lowered my speeds from that to 30/100 mb.  

Tech support was sending a tech to my house this week to look at my ONT since they ran some diags remotely and saw some problems.  

I'll try to keep this thread informed.  

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.