Slow Upstream Speeds Internationally
geschinger1
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have the 75/35 plan and am trying to upload files (PST archives if it matters) to a server in India.  With my FiOS connection I top out at 55KB\s.  I wanted to see if it was an issue with the India side so tried the same upload from a friends house a few blocks away.  He has TW 50/5 service and he was topping out at almost 600KB\s.  I've tried the test twice now - once yesterday afternoon and once this morning.

Does anyone have experience with international traffic?  I'm wondering if Verizon has poor peering agreements, etc... and therefore international connectivity will be poor or if there might be some technical reason the upload speeds are so poor.  

Thanks!

0 Likes
Re: Slow Upstream Speeds Internationally
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

This could be a peering issue, or some other issue. What protocol are you using to upload to the file server? SMB? HTTP? FTP? Is a VPN required in the mix?

0 Likes
click4dylan
Contributor - Level 1

There is nothing to fix it. I never get more than 500 KB/s (around 5 Mbps) upload to anyone even in the US, except of course speed test servers which are designed to have optimal routing. Even uploading to youtube is at most 500 KB/s

0 Likes
geschinger1
Enthusiast - Level 3
I am using FTP, there is no VPN in the mix.
0 Likes
geschinger1
Enthusiast - Level 3
500KB/s would be fantastic compared to what I get and would be almost as fast as files can be uploaded to the same server from a Time Warner 50/5 connection. Instead I seem to max out at about 50KB/s.
0 Likes
click4dylan
Contributor - Level 1

I've actually had some major luck. I found a forum that came up with the secret combination to calculate the AFD parameters in the registry to get the best upload speed. I am now getting between 600 KB/s and 2 MB/s to the vast majority of online servers. Someone from Poland of all places was able to download a file from me at 1.5 MB/s which I think is absolutely amazing considering the distance is across the world. I forgot the exact place I got the algorithm to calculate the proper values, but first completely uninstall the verizon speed optimizer. It's garbage and sets your MTU to the improper values (1492 when it should be 1500).

Then download TCP optimizer and set your download speed and then click on the 'optimal' button to change windows to optimal values.

Then go into the windows registry and browse to HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\AFD\Parameters

add these two DWORD 32 bit values in DECIMAL format:

DefaultReceiveWindow      1155072

DefaultSendWindow            675840

As I said before, these values were calculated for 50/25 service plan (which yields about 58 down 33 up at speed test sites). Your results may vary.