Slow Wi-Fi speed on 5ghz Quantum Router
joe15005

Hi everyone,

Recently got my new place installed with Fios and the new Quantum router. Certain devices that were using the 5ghz signal (iPhone, iPad, etc) have incredibly slow wifi speeds. I was averaging 4.5 mbps up and down (I have the 75/75 plan). When I disabled the 5ghz signal and those devices connect to the 2.4ghz band, the speeds are back up closer to 75/75.

Anyone have any suggestions of why this might be? I tried to do some research but got a little lost. Maybe I'm not configuing the 5ghz signal correctly?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

0 Likes
Re: Slow Wi-Fi speed on 5ghz Quantum Router
CaptainSTX
Contributor - Level 3

The 5 Ghz signal is significantly weaker (less able to penetrate solid objects ) than  the the 2.4 Ghz signal.   Nothing to do with this router it is the physics of the higher frequency radio.

For most people, depending on the construction of your home,  the 5 Ghz only works very well in the same room as the router and perhaps the next adjacent room depending on construction materials, doorways, etc.

0 Likes
joe15005

Thanks for response Captain. Even when I'm sitting 3 feet directly in front of my router, the wifi speed is incredibly slow. No walls or obstructions in front of the router. 

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Are your Apple devices running the latest version of iOS? There were some bug fixes in recent builds that helped to resolve some Wi-Fi troubles if they have older builds of iOS 8 on them.

For 5Ghz, try changing the channel to something fixed. It's been found that the Automatic channel setting can be a little buggy, or it'll pick channels that some devices cannot support.

0 Likes