Slow & erratic speeds - very disappointed in switch to FiOS so far
jt881
Enthusiast - Level 2

I finally decided to try out FiOS and switched from Optimum 2 days ago.  I have been running some speed tests to see if everything is working as it should and came back with poor results.

I am paying for 50/25 and am typically getting between 20-40 Mbps download (with 1 exception which I will get to later).  I have run speed tests on speedtest.net and other sites, always choosing nearby servers.  My results have been very erratic.  On Optimum I consistently got high 50's d/l all the time on all servers.  On FiOS, I often get as low as 6-8 Mbps download.  A lot of times my d/l speed is MUCH less than my upload speed (for example: 8 down and 26 up). 

However, if I choose to test to the optimum online server, I consistently get high 50's download and high 20's upload, which is what I expect.  Not sure what's going on here - it's almost as though Optimum is begging me to come back - which I will do unless this gets solved.

Just spent an hour with tech support.  Did all the usual resetting/rebooting stuff, ran the optimizer, checked RWIN (although I'm on Win 7 which makes this moot), etc.  Now they want to send a tech out at the end of the week b/c they think it could be something with the house wiring.  I'm not sure I agree, since I AM getting full speed when I test to the optimum.com server.

Oh - and ping is a lot higher.  Seeing 30-60ms vs 10ms on Optimum.

Any ieas on what the problems could be?  Came in with high hopes and getting disappointed quickly.  28 days before I have to decide to keep or toss...

0 Likes
Re: Slow & erratic speeds - very disappointed in switch to FiOS so far
jt881
Enthusiast - Level 2

UPDATE: I checked all of the speed tests this morning at 7am and guess what?  All test servers at full speed!

Verizon definitely has some network congestion issues during evening prime time.  NOT GOOD.  I'm curious as to what they're going to say when I speak to them again.  And FWIW, VZ Wireless quality has also been going downhill.

0 Likes
iDShaDoW703
Enthusiast - Level 3

I've been experiencing the same thing and it's disappointing.

I tested real quick before I headed out to work this morning and of course it tests at a good speed.

It appears Verizon is oversaturating their hardware and aren't expanding capabilities to meet demands.

Of course, expect that when they send the tech out it will be during business/work hours so when he tests it'll look fine and after he leaves and you're trying to do stuff in the evening the speeds will be terrible.

You'll call in at night and they'll test it on their end and tell you it's fine when it's definitely not.

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

@jt88 wrote:

UPDATE: I checked all of the speed tests this morning at 7am and guess what?  All test servers at full speed!

Verizon definitely has some network congestion issues during evening prime time.  NOT GOOD.  I'm curious as to what they're going to say when I speak to them again.  And FWIW, VZ Wireless quality has also been going downhill.

Always the first question:  Are you running your speed tests via a wired (Ethernet) connection to your router of via wifi?

0 Likes
jt881
Enthusiast - Level 2
Yes wired of course. And connected directly to Actiontec router.
0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

You say  "of course,"  but you didn't mention wired or wifi in either of your earlier posts and similar problems are often related to wifi vagaries.  Anyway....

It sounds like we may be in the same area.  I also had Optimum once-upon-a-time and, for whatever it's worth, since switching to FiOS I've found my speeds to be much more consistent than they were with OOL.

Yes...there is some variation from speed test server to server but I would suggest that is the nature of the Internet, and specific servers, and not a Verizon problem. 

I usually test with speedtest.net and let it pick the server with the lowest ping.  That is indeed Optimum's New York server at times. Other times it chooses other servers in the NY area.  In every case, though, I always get at least the 75/35 speeds I'm paying for.

It sounds to me like what you're seeing could be saturation at certain speed tests servers in the evening.  What I would suggest you do, for a real world test, is find a file server that will saturate your bandwidth and try it in the evening.  Something like a file server from Microsoft, or Corel, etc. etc. If I do that, and measure my speed with DU Meter, I always get the same download speed, regardless of the time of day.  Here's one example:

I can also run the same test uploading to a couple of servers I have available, and I get the same real world results.

If you're still not satisfied that you're getting what you're paying for from Verizon, I'm sure OOL will be happy to have you back.  That's the beauty of competition. Smiley Wink

0 Likes
jt881
Enthusiast - Level 2
Thanks. I will try your suggestion. While the speed test servers might see more load in the evenings, I didn't see such erratic and low speeds on optimum with the same tests which I ran just last week. This leads me to believe it's a VZ problem. Perhaps the problem is on a micro level limited to my neighborhood.

A couple of years ago Optimum saw the same slowdowns and they were called out on it. They upgraded their backend equipment soon afterwards which fixed the issue. VZ could be in the same situation.
0 Likes
tjloft
Enthusiast - Level 2

I think Verizon has been signing up lots of Fios customers and not adding sufficient capacity to service them.  See my other post

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-Internet/Netflix-streaming-has-become-unusable-is-Verizon-intentio...

I have had it for several years without issue but in the last few months the service has degraded noticeably.

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

Well....I don't mean to sound like a FiOS fan boy but it's my take that the vendor who has signed up too many customers without increasing sufficient capacity is Netflix.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I can max out my 75/35 connection from/to numerous other servers 24/7, yet I too have seen the problems users complain about when trying to stream Netflix movies in the evening.

I were you, or the OP in this thread, and I was convinced that I wasn't getting the service I'm paying Verizon for and I had another ISP available.....I'd switch.   

0 Likes
jt881
Enthusiast - Level 2

It's a few minutes to 8pm EST and I just ran a few speed tests to different servers.  Speeds are back down to about 30 Mb/s.  Tried dowloading from Microsoft and Corel and my browser showed 4 MB/s from Microsoft and 4.8 MB/s from Corel, which convert to 32 Mb/s and 38 Mb/s respectively.  Ping times have also shot back up.

I set up an appointment yesterday for a tech to come out later this week, but today I got two automated voice mails from VZ saying "We believe your issue has been resolved.  If it isn't please press ..."  What a FAIL on their part.

If there is anyone from VZ here, please contact me.  I truly wanted to give you guys a try but it just isn't working out so far.

0 Likes