Slow download speeds and/or dropped internet connectivity
cncheatham
Enthusiast - Level 1

Recently, my fios internet connection will be intermittently slow or simply drop altogether on all my devices. The verizon speed test also shows that my download speeds are less than 1mb/sec whereas upload speeds are up to 15 mb/s. My service plan is 25/25. I have been using the service with no issues for the past 4 months. This seems to have come up out of the blue in the past few days. Resetting the router has no effect.   Is anyone else experiencing this problem? This is in Philadelphia. 

I tried to call support, but had to give up after being on hold for 55 minutes. Going to try again tomorrow. 

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Slow download speeds and/or dropped internet connectivity
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

@seitzbg wrote:

Maybe this is why Verizon isn't 'fixing' things.

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/CenturyLink-Might-Buy-Verizon-ATT-Assets-132911

They so far have shown no interest in selling any alter.net resources.  This is different then selling residential resources in various states.

View solution in original post

eljefe2
Master - Level 1
Are you using wifi or a hardwired / Ethernet connection to your router?
0 Likes
glenda53
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm having an identical issue in California. 50/50 Quantum hardwired. Keep losing connectivity to the internet (any website) since installation 6 weeks ago. Have not been able to reach support either because the call disconnects or is intercepted by an automated assistant. Customer service rep waited on hold for 15 minutes with tech support and then was disconnected as well. My guess is there are lots of people having the same issue.

0 Likes
candcgregory
Enthusiast - Level 3

I am having the identical problem here outside of Dallas. I'll be on my laptop, and intermittently, the wireless connection will just drop completely. When I go to reconnect, the router doesn't even show in the list of available wireless networks. I have to unplug the router, plug it back in, then it magically re-appears. I have a stress fracture in my leg, and getting out of bed to hobble over to the router on my crutches is a royal pain. This happens almost every night now, and has been an issue for about a week.

Just now, trying to log in to respond to your post, my wireless connection dropped down to less than 2 Mbps. When I tried to login to the forum, I got as far as providing my secret answer, and then the connection timed out. I waited a few minutes, and now everything is fine. Speedtest shows a download speed of 26 Mbps, which is standard for my laptop on a 50/50 subscription.

It's maddening.  

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Have you tried changing the channel of your wireless?

Is it hardcoded or do you have it set to automatic.

Could be that someone else has brought up wifi that is interfering.

cncheatham
Enthusiast - Level 1

Sorry I haven't been able to update with more info sooner. 

I am conncted with wifi. The location of my laptop with respect to the router has not changed at any time during the duration of these issues. Since monday when I originally posted, the following happened:

On Tuesday the problem appeared to have been resolved as I was getting 29.5 down and 20 up at 7:00 EST. I tested again at 10:30 EST and was getting 17 down and 19 up so everything seemed good. Last night, however, the issue popped up again. I was not able to test until about 10:30 but at that time I was once again consistently getting less than 1 mb down and 5-10 up. Ironically, the download speeds were so poor I was not even able to log in to these forums to post without the webpage timing out. Tonight, I was having issues earlier (download speeds ~1-2 mb) but not I am once again getting ~30 down based on the verizon speedtest.

I have not tried changing the channel of my wireless, could the interference from another wifi cause issues like this? IT is set to automatic right now though. 

0 Likes
seitzbg
Enthusiast - Level 3
0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

@seitzbg wrote:

Maybe this is why Verizon isn't 'fixing' things.

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/CenturyLink-Might-Buy-Verizon-ATT-Assets-132911

They so far have shown no interest in selling any alter.net resources.  This is different then selling residential resources in various states.
nointernetJose

getting less than 1mbs for days. Which is how long it takes to view a twitter post. Worse than 1996 Buad Dial up to AOL. **bleep**

0 Likes
kh-gary
Moderator Emeritus

In order to keep discussion on the community current, this topic has been locked to prevent new replies. If you have a similar question or issue that you wish to discuss, then please feel free to post a new message on the most relevant board. Thanks!

0 Likes