Re: Slow internet at night EVERY NIGHT
sarahbee1

I don't have connection speed data collected, but I too have had problems with internet speed the past few nights, specifically experienced trying to stream Amazon via our Roku.  Last night there were significantly long periods where the video and audio would stop or the video would stop but the audio continued, or it would go back to the Amazon screen and reload (but picked up where it left off). 

During the same timeframe internet response on my laptop has been noticeably slower as well.

We live in Montgomery County, Maryland (Washington DC suburbs).

The next time this happens I will do a speed test and see what I get.

All I can say for now is that when this happened last night at the end of the 8th episode of The Man In The High Castle I was beside myself!

0 Likes
evlx
Enthusiast - Level 1

I've had the same issue for months now in the NOVA area (Annandale, VA).. It happens from around 6 or 7 pm est until midnight/1 am... I contacted live chat for weeks until an agent finally said it was due to an "overutilization of uplink." After that, it was fixed for a few days.. and I was greeted with another problem where my 2nd hop on tracert would SPIKE to 400-3k+.. which didn't show on speedtests of course.. So then, I let a technician remote desktop my computer so I could ping the hop to show the issue.. and of course they tell me to restart router, reset router, etc. etc.. did this for weeks until someone finally "refreshed the network" on their end... which fixed this for another few days.. then I was back to step one where internet would be at 5 mbps download and 15 upload..

Contacted live chat everyday this week and I was told there was an outage.. that it'd be fixed "tomorrow".. tomorrow comes and its not fixed.. and then I'd be on live chat again and be told it'd be fixed "tomorrow".. so on so forth..

I was then connected to customer service in which they sent me to technical support.. technical support tells me that the "outage" was reported on November 11, and is supposed to be fixed December 17th.. (lol funny because I've been told it would be fixed in 12 hours).. then technical support sends me to customer service again in which a woman kept cutting me off and raising her voice at me then telling me that I need to speak to technical support first before speaking to her... then I spoke to a "supervisor," which did the same thing.. I told them I've been a customer for probably over 13 years and this sort of treatment where I am being sent in circles with no help at all is unacceptable ..

I also asked her to look back at chat logs from previous months about the issue and asked her to send me an email so I can contact again about the issue for credit towards the bill since apparently they cant give credit when issue is not resolved. She then sent me an email.. saying this,

As we discussed, I would like to provide you with some helpful information regarding our conversation on 12/10/15. Below you will see a recap of our call and my recommendations. You can review at your convenience.. as we discuss ion regards to the credit that you're expecting for out of service, tech need to fix the issue and if there a need for technician to personally visit the area to solve the on going problem we have to do so. and after that will discuss the credit on the acct for out service or slow speed. Thank you for choosing Verizon. We look forward to providing you with the very best in entertainment. Sincerely,JulieVerizon

I don't know what to do to get any of this fixed anymore or who to contact that would actually make a difference. Best part of all of this is when she (the supervisor) said "oh by the way, you've been a customer for 11 years," before hanging up. I hope a real supervisor listens in to the recordings and looks through the chat logs of my account and deal with these guys.. theres no reason why their customer service is this terrible. Maybe blasting this issue on www.reddit.com/r/nova would help.. Real tired of this.

edit: I have 75/75 connection

0 Likes
ElizabethS
Moderator Emeritus

Hello evlx

Your issue has been escalated to a Verizon agent. Before the agent can begin assisting you, they will need to collect further information from you.

Please go to your profile page here on the forum, and look in the middle, right at the top where you will find an area titled "My Support Cases". You can reach your profile page by clicking on your name beside your post, or at the top left of this page underneath the title of the board.

Under “My Support Cases” you will find a link to the private board where you and the agent may exchange information. This should be checked on a frequent basis as the agent may be waiting for information from you before they can proceed with any actions.

To ensure you know when they have responded to you, at the top of your support case there is a drop down menu for support case options. Open that and choose "subscribe".

Please keep all correspondence regarding your issue in the private support portal.

0 Likes
evlx
Enthusiast - Level 1
0 Likes
db909
Contributor - Level 3

The questions about wired or wifi are laughable.  What does it matter if it works great during the day but not at night?  It is pretty obvious it is a FIOS network issue in this situation.  Logic dictates...speeds are good during the day...more people are home at night streaming...FIOS network issue!

Check out the DSLR forums, there are several threads on this issue.  FIOS is exiting the business, has started to sell off assets, and is reining in investing in any network upgrades.

Most seem to have gotten results by filing a complaint with the FCC.

0 Likes
Cangulo58

Started last week. Paying for 50/50 fios. Everynight from 8pm to 11pm the download speed drops down to 15mb or lower.

0 Likes
EliteMikeS
Enthusiast - Level 2

I live in NOVA myself (Montclair) and I also notice inconsistencies at night. I have just been too lazy to do anything about it.  The tech support useuflly just annoys me.

0 Likes
EliteMikeS
Enthusiast - Level 2

While it might seem silly to ask wired or wireless, it is valid  As more people are home and more devices are broadcasting on your spectrum (including neighbors if houses are close), it could play into speeds.   Wired is always the safest bet to get results,

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Is this from Speedtest.verizon.net?

If not, try that when you are having issues.

Thiat will test your connection to Verizon network.

If you are wired to router and that is the performance you are getting, then report to support.

If that test works fine, then it may be past Verizon network.

0 Likes
Stevestrv
Enthusiast - Level 1

Done12manyu2

How do I get my ping time?

0 Likes