Slow internet speeds
Zadam123

I have FiOS gigabit and FiOS is trying to tell me my computer cannot handle the speeds which is why I'm only getting 100 megabytes download and I'm hard-wired connection. I just found out that my p5k SE Asus motherboard handles gigabyte so does anybody know why my speeds are so slow FiOS is trying to blame my computer

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Slow internet speeds
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Try some other things on both your computer, and your son's Computer.

1: Run the TCP Optimizer program: https://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php

This program is simple to use, and still works on modern Windows systems. Once you've downloaded the program, right click the program and run it as Administrator. Then, once the program is open, click the "Optimal" button found at the bottom right of the program. Then at the top of the program, drag the slider to the right-most option which is "100+M". Then click Save/Apply. Once completed, reboot the computer 

2: Don't speed test with Google Chrome. If your computer isn't the fastest, or if you have a mechanical hard drive, Chrome has the tendency to cause speed tests to under-report due to bottlenecks in storage, as odd as that sounds. Instead, on a Windows 8 or better computer (or a Mac if you have one) use the Ookla speedtest.net app available from the Microsoft Store, or the Apple App Store. This does not have the same performance problem that a browser may have. Ookla even suggests using this app if you have a fast connection like Gigabit.

3: Disable Anti-Virus network/web scanners. These are responsible for causing computers to be unable to hit a full Gigabit, and this is usually a processor bottleneck. Avast, AVG, Kaspersky, BitDefender, and Symantec /Norton are all programs I know off of the top of my head with this type of component.

4: Try multiple servers if using Ookla speed test. Verizon's test should not have problems reaching 1Gbps, but many Ookla speed test servers cannot handle a 1Gbps speed test even if you use another provider. My area in particular has one server that can't test more than 500Mbps, and both Verizon and Spectrum techs complain about it because the speed test is incorrect due to the bad server.

View solution in original post

jonjones1
Legend

@Zadam123 wrote:

I have FiOS gigabit and FiOS is trying to tell me my computer cannot handle the speeds which is why I'm only getting 100 megabytes download and I'm hard-wired connection. I just found out that my p5k SE Asus motherboard handles gigabyte so does anybody know why my speeds are so slow FiOS is trying to blame my computer

First thing to do is run the verizon speed test 

https://www.verizon.com/speedtest/

If you do the router speed test *NOT THE DEVICE SPEED TEST*

you should see up to speeds of 940/880 

on a device speed test it has nothing to do with your motherboard outside of your network interface device connection. When you connect your computer or laptop the connection of 100/1000 etc. must be able to handle certain speeds.

and of course not under wifi conditions which will be much worse.

verizon only gurantees your router speeds and not device speeds. However if the router speed is that low then you call verizon up and have them provision you for what you are paying for. 1-800-VERIZON 

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you're getting 100 MegaBYTES and not 100 MegaBITS per second of download, you're doing pretty good on Gigabit service. Take note that there are 8 bits to a byte, so you'll need to check what unit of measurement is being used and convert as needed.

Your motherboard does seem pretty old though. If you have another computer with Gigabit Ethernet on your network, try running a tool called iPerf between the two. This would tell you where the problem is and isn't. If it's fast between two computers on your LAN, then we can explore further.

Zadam123

When I click on the reply to your comments I keep getting an unexpected error and it's not working Verizon is doing real well 😞 so I'll post my reply here

I tried running the test but I keep failing after about 72% I get to download speeds but on the upload speeds it cuts off and says test failed so I cannot test the router. I don't understand how I'm feeling the test because I have no problems uploading my download things from my computer. My son has a more recent laptop and I hooked up my connection to his laptop and ran a speed test through Verizon and I'm only getting 290 download and about 400 upload. When I ran the router test I am getting those 900 speeds. My question is is there any computer that can handle this since my computer says it's gigabyte and my son's computer says it's gigabyte Network how do you actually get those gigabyte speeds? Even though I am hardwired I'm still not getting close to a 900

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Even though you have a gigabit nic in your computers that is not the only factor. Your cpu processor, ram, virus protection, programs running in the background and other computers on the network all are a factor. 

As far as speed tests go the server that you test with could also be a factor. I use Ookla speed test and it will auto pick a server but that specific server might not be capable of testing a gig. You can also manually pick a server. If you use test ten different servers you’ll probably get ten different results. 

The fact that you sons computer gets 290 mbps and yours gets 100 shows that it is probably a hardware issue. The whole point of the gigabit connection is not too say one computer gets the gig. It’s s that multiple computers can all do high demand tasks. For example if you are steaming a 4k movie or show you need 25 mbps. You could have 10 different 4k steams and only using 250 mbps out of your 940 mbps 

www.verizon.com/speedtest dont work
Zadam123

I noticed my speeds are not what they should be testing on computer I called verizon and they told me to go to www.verizon.com/speedtest and run the test since they said that speedtest.net is not there and not accurate and not affiliated with them! so i did and i failed almost every time and not only failed the tests it bumped me off the internet on my computer ( not wifi just computer) when windows ran the diagnostic it says gateway not found and windows fixes the problem right away. this happens 95% of the time sometimes i get up to the router test and fail. but even getting this far where is says my router is very close to the gig speeds my dl on my computer is only at 190-200 dl and 300-400 upload. 

note when i got to speedtest.net i get speeds of 300-400 dl which is double verizons . 

verizon told me to run the same test on a diffrent device so i used my cell phone and also failed the test so they sent a tec out to my house to see what the issue was.

when the tec came he told me the verizon.com/speedtest site has been down for 2 years and there supervisor told them not to use there site and to use speedtest.net. He for some reason was able to pass the test on his device but was getting speeds of 700 mbs on verizons site but 900 on speedtest .net

Now what is the problem, I emphasized to verizon on the phone that maby there site had issues and was told by more than one supervisor there site was the onlly one i should use and was working properly they were even on the phone with teer 3 level support to try to solve my issue. so im wondering what my problem is , did tec supoort lie to me? . did the tec that came to my house lie to me? is speedtest.net just as good as verizon.com/speedtest? is www.verizon.com/speedtest having issues? who do i believe and why are my speeds so slow

fyi my network card is gigabit and just did a com;oeat reeboot and install of windows 10 from windows 7 where i had the same issue

0 Likes
Re: www.verizon.com/speedtest dont work
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Zadam123 wrote:

when the tec came he told me the verizon.com/speedtest site has been down for 2 years and there supervisor told them not to use there site and to use speedtest.net. He for some reason was able to pass the test on his device but was getting speeds of 700 mbs on verizons site but 900 on speedtest .net

Now what is the problem, I emphasized to verizon on the phone that maby there site had issues and was told by more than one supervisor there site was the onlly one i should use and was working properly they were even on the phone with teer 3 level support to try to solve my issue. so im wondering what my problem is , did tec supoort lie to me? . did the tec that came to my house lie to me? is speedtest.net just as good as verizon.com/speedtest? is www.verizon.com/speedtest having issues? who do i believe and why are my speeds so slow

fyi my network card is gigabit and just did a com;oeat reeboot and install of windows 10 from windows 7 where i had the same issue

The verizon.com/speedtest sites works for me. I'm not sure why the tech said it has been down for 2 years. Testing with a smartphone is irrelevant because they typically have one wifi antenna. You are never going to get a gig. If I'm on the 5 Ghz band I will typically get around 400-450 mbps with a Galaxy Note 8.

I'm not trying to be rude, but I'm not sure why there is a disconnect. If the tech was getting 700 and 900 mbps speeds then you are getting the speeds you pay for. Verizon or any other ISP can't be responsible for your equipment. You even said in your other post that your son's computer was getting better speeds than yours.

Like I said in my previous post, a gigabit NIC isn't the only factor in you computer getting a gig. The processor, ram, virus protection, programs running in the background, even the browser you are using. Different speed test servers will show different results. Nobody is lying to you. Your computer is getting the speeds that it can get.

Another thing is that the gigabit connection is not to say that one device can get a gig. It is so multiple users can all do high demand things like steaming 4K videos and still have plenty of bandwidth to spare.

Zadam123

So let me mention that there is nothing running in the background I do not believe in virus programs because of this reason they slow your computer down and like I said it is a fresh install of Windows 10 and if you do control alternate delete Andromeda task manager there is nothing running in the background I have 6 gigs of RAM on a 64-bit machine. And here is the main question if Verizon's website is not down why is that the only website that I go to and it bumps me off of the internet? And if no one's lying to me why would the rep tell me the site has been down for two years and they don't use it because they're told to use speedtest.net? Maybe it is by machine I don't know but I know my network card says I can handle 1GB speeds and if I'm hard-wired from that router to my computer and not sharing it with anybody else I should be close to those speeds not 190 that's not even close I might as well get the 300 internet and save some money.

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

I can't say why the Verizon speedtest site bumps you off or why the tech said it was down for two years. But I tried it twice before I replied to your post. It does work on both my phone and laptop.

If it makes you feel better I have a cheap $500 Dell laptop that has a gigabit NIC and I don't get a gig with that either. I do know I'm getting my speeds because my daughter's Mac usually gets in the 900s.

You could downgrade to 300 mbps or really even 100 mbps depending on what you are doing. There is no need to pay for it if you don't have the need. One of the most demanding thing most family's do is stream.  And you can stream a 4k movie with 25 mbps. The gig connection is honestly way overboard and in most cases usually not needed.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Try some other things on both your computer, and your son's Computer.

1: Run the TCP Optimizer program: https://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php

This program is simple to use, and still works on modern Windows systems. Once you've downloaded the program, right click the program and run it as Administrator. Then, once the program is open, click the "Optimal" button found at the bottom right of the program. Then at the top of the program, drag the slider to the right-most option which is "100+M". Then click Save/Apply. Once completed, reboot the computer 

2: Don't speed test with Google Chrome. If your computer isn't the fastest, or if you have a mechanical hard drive, Chrome has the tendency to cause speed tests to under-report due to bottlenecks in storage, as odd as that sounds. Instead, on a Windows 8 or better computer (or a Mac if you have one) use the Ookla speedtest.net app available from the Microsoft Store, or the Apple App Store. This does not have the same performance problem that a browser may have. Ookla even suggests using this app if you have a fast connection like Gigabit.

3: Disable Anti-Virus network/web scanners. These are responsible for causing computers to be unable to hit a full Gigabit, and this is usually a processor bottleneck. Avast, AVG, Kaspersky, BitDefender, and Symantec /Norton are all programs I know off of the top of my head with this type of component.

4: Try multiple servers if using Ookla speed test. Verizon's test should not have problems reaching 1Gbps, but many Ookla speed test servers cannot handle a 1Gbps speed test even if you use another provider. My area in particular has one server that can't test more than 500Mbps, and both Verizon and Spectrum techs complain about it because the speed test is incorrect due to the bad server.