Re: Slow real world upload speed
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

Google slow upload speeds with Realtek nics and see many examples of this.

Have 2 machine with ECS motherboards with built in Realtek nics, some days they are fine but most of the time they show speeds of 85/8.  Have a couple of other machines with broadcom nics they always show 85/85

0 Likes
Kestrel3
Contributor - Level 2

3 hours on the phone with Verizon last night.  Someone there had closed my ticket saying that they had tried to contact me 3 times, but no one ever did...

Finally got to speak with a network technician, and he basically said that slow upload speeds are normal Smiley Frustrated  and that (as usual) if the Verizon official speed test runs ok, then it is fine.  Nothing he said would explain why for example a test on testmynet would show that I have an 89% slower upload speed (2.4 M tested) than other FIOS users that have run the test to that same site, or why sending a 10MB attachment on an email used to go almost instantly and now takes minutes.

He said to call back if the Verizon test shows slow upload speeds, and I said that is what I did last week and I never got anywhere.....

He did rebuild my connections and renewed the lease, but now the NDT shows half duplex when the router shows full duplex, and I can't seem to change it.

0 Likes
Kestrel3
Contributor - Level 2

Verizon ad touting not just the tested upload speed, but the actual time it would take to upload files:

http://campaign.verizon.com/fasterspeeds/

According to that ad (which is used to entice people to sign up for equal upload / download speeds),  it should take 40 seconds to upload a 250 MB file with their 50/50 service.

I just uploaded a 230 MB file to several sites, and by far the fastest one (Hightail) took 7 minutes 38 seconds.  Almost 6 times longer than promised, and only 17% of promised speed.  

Other sites were much, much slower:  Dropbox (paid account) too 41 minutes,  WeTransfer took 32 minutesfor the 230 MB file.

I also tried with a smaller 5 MB file to iCloud (Apple) and it took 15 seconds vs. the promised Verizon speed for a 30 MB file of only 4.8 seconds  (7 times slower than promised).  

0 Likes
iDShaDoW703
Enthusiast - Level 3

The best part is that one that site, the charts don't compare FIOS speeds to their cable equivalents.

I can understand if they say "hey, we offer up to 500/500 which cable does not" but the way they do it is misleading.

Of course 15/15 and 25/25 is faster than 5mbps... of course 50/50 is faster than 25mbps.

What they really should be doing is saying hey, we offer 15/15 for x amount which is cheaper than cable which offers 15/15 for y amount a month.

0 Likes
dupsatou
Enthusiast - Level 2

I had posted to this post a while back and thought I would update what my resolution was.  I had kept pushing for something to be done with the PON card and nothing was done.  On a second route though I was also pursuing getting my speed upgraded to 150/150.  Once you get above 75 you get moved to a GPON instead of a BPON card which has better throughput and such so that saturation isn't such an issue.  Also, in my case, I had a Verizon Tech tell me the gpon infrastructure was all in place but they hadn't activated it for my neighborhood yet.  So I pushed that route and got them to activate it in my area and start offering it (they weren't offering it before me).  I am the first one up to the 150/150 package but it did fix my problem.  I know upgrading to a faster package is not ideal for a solution but I was actually okay with it.  I was looking to upgrade anyway just wasn't going to do so until my speed issue was fixed so this killed to birds w/ one stone for me.

Also - while I will probably stay on the 150/150, it is possible to downgrade back to your slower speed after the install and still be on the better GPON instead.  Just sayin....

Kestrel3
Contributor - Level 2

Thanks for the info - that may be the only option, other than switching providers, but the upgrade from 50/50 to 150/150 is $50-$70 more per month.  If I could get even half of the speed I am paying for, I would be happy.

Now my speed is testing slow every night, starting around 9 PM and lasting until after midnight on the official Verizon speed test site.   Of course, I am still stuck because Verizon says that they need a tech at my house when the speeds test slow in order to do anything, and they can't be here at that time.

I have screen shots of the Verizon speed test from every day for the last week showing upload speeds of less than 20 Mbps  (and below normal download speeds too) , but Verizon still says that there isn't anything they can do about it besides send another tech out (during the day when it usually tests fine so they won't do anything else).

0 Likes
iDShaDoW703
Enthusiast - Level 3

After I wasted enough of their time troubleshooting over the phone and having 3-4 techs come out during the day when it tested fine for me, they finally scheduled to have a tech come out around like 6 or 7 PM.

This was during the winter mind you and he was actually standing outside in the cold behind my house by the ONT with his laptop plugged in directly.

A lot of the times it seems like the higher level techs that're sitting cozy at the office are hard to get a hold of and even then, I had a different Tier 2/3 tech handle my case each time and they kept having me troubleshoot from square one which was very annoying.

They didn't have the same person taking responsibility for the trouble ticket to completion and is a terrible way to run things.

If you work with the forum support team here and gather enough data they may be able to arrange to have a person come out after hours when the issue occurs.

0 Likes
JKraley
Enthusiast - Level 1

I thought I should add to the experiences I've recently had and noticed now in these forums regarding an unusual/seemingly-unexplainable lack or imbalance in UPLOAD speeds compared to Download... (we're talking less than 1 when I have a 50/50 optical FiOS plan)

For my particular setup: my computer is hardwired to the Verizon router downstairs (they sent me a new one yesterday due to the continued issues of having a speedtest result of 50+ (download) "over" (less than) 1 (upload)..)

So it happened to me again today. Last night, during peak hours, I was getting 56:64 Internet speed.

Yet: just a moment ago, I was going insane seeing a 12ms "ping" with 58 download, but 0.8 "upload" speed results. And yet all my mobile wifi connected devices were blazingly fast.

So, considering I've been DVR'ing the Simpsons marathon, plus the news is about to record, I didn't want to go through YET ANOTHER RESET of the router (I've been through it way to many times to mask the real problem)..

So I decided to try something just now, and problem solved:

All I did was reach behind my computer, disconnect the ethernet (internet) cable going into my computer (I'm running a Windows 7 Professional 64-bit setup, fyi)...

and I counted to 10.. and plugged it back in (I even left the browser and other programs open and running).

Then I went to the speedtest page and clicked "refresh" (using Firefox), and I ran the speed test again.

Problem miraculously solved:

Right now: 58.52 download, 65.23 upload (11ms ping)

I hope this helps some of you out there. It's been a hair-pulling issue, after a new set top box, a new router, and new upgraded 50/50 plan, constantly unplugging and resetting the router ad nauseum.. with this randomly (but increasingly) present upload "lack" compared to the download consistency... I will deal with it on the phone tomorrow. I've wasted enough time with verizon on the phone and through the mail system for new equipment this week...

But hope this helps all of you out there!

chillyspop

Like all the others on this thread I experienced normal download speeds and slow upload speeds ever since January 12 2014. Download speed is steady 9.4 or higher Mbps download and upload speed between 0.25 Mbps and .5Mbps on a 25/25 contract.  Called numerous times and always had to go through the same set of steps from square 1. Every time they balked when I said I had a Macintosh instead of a PC and couldn't fix it unless I could run the In Home Agent software.

Finally they sent a tech out with a tablet and he said they couldn't support my setup because I had all my machines hard wired to my own router with a single 100 Mbps hard link to the Verizon router. I had to disconnect one of the Macs and connect directly to the Verizon router to prove the problem persisted even then. He experienced the same speed problem but couldn't figure out what was causing the problem and he just left and the ticket got closed even though nothing was fixed.

Opened another ticket in June and went through the same hours of stepping through the same steps and getting a new router with no change. The most frustrating thing about this problem has been that unless I called every weekend the tickets just got closed with no feedback or email asking if my problem was really fixed. 

I have had to get on the phone to have it reopened once it is closed because once it is closed it doesnt show up on My Verizon and says I have no open tickets.Has anyone found a way to send an email to say that a closed ticket should be reopened?

Finally on 25 August 2014 the problem fixed itself. Still working now 4 days later on the 29th..  I get steady 9.3 to 9.5 Mbps upload and download on all my machines, old Windows XP laptop, newer Windows 7 laptop, and several Mac OSX 10.7 Lion and even the OSX 10.6 Snow Leopard machines. There were no changes on my part and no explanation from Verizon. Oh well, at least it's getting the same speed down and up!

0 Likes
Kestrel3
Contributor - Level 2

Can anyone interpret the following Verizon NDT report that I just ran?  I was told earlier in this thread that my buffer settings were too low, but I did change them using Cocktail, and it only made it slightly worse.  The software tool that Verizon recommends for changing the settings is the Apple Broadband Tuner, which is badly outdated (at 9 years old and version 1.0) and has not supported by supported by Apple for any of their last 3 operating systems. 

What concerns me here the most is the packets, acks, and SACK figures which might indicate a problem, but I don't know what they are.  I assume they show packet loss, since my earlier posting on this thread of NDT results says "No packet loss was observed" there instead.

Also not sure why it is set to half duplex operation. It was full duplex on the earlier NDT from July.

Just trying to solve my slow upload problem, and also trying to solve an issue where someone could not successfully send me a file - the file would get corrupted and the connection would get interrupted repeatedly.  Any info would be appreciated so I can plead my case to Verizon more effectively.

Checking for Middleboxes . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Done
SendBufferSize set to [131768]
running 10s outbound test (client to server) . . . . . 41.30Mb/s
running 10s inbound test (server to client) . . . . . . 38.16Mb/s

------ Client System Details ------
OS data: Name = Mac OS X, Architecture = x86_64, Version = 10.8.5
Java data: Vendor = Oracle Corporation, Version = 1.7.0_67

------ Web100 Detailed Analysis ------
Client Receive Window detected at 270080 bytes.
100 Mbps FastEthernet link found.
Link set to Half Duplex mode
Information: throughput is limited by other network traffic.
Good network cable(s) found
Normal duplex operation found.

Web100 reports the Round trip time = 12.23 msec; the Packet size = 1448 Bytes; and 
There were 535 packets retransmitted, 2047 duplicate acks received, and 2547 SACK blocks received
The connection was idle 0 seconds (0%) of the time
This connection is sender limited 65.97% of the time.
This connection is network limited 33.83% of the time.

Web100 reports TCP negotiated the optional Performance Settings to: 
RFC 2018 Selective Acknowledgment: ON
RFC 896 Nagle Algorithm: ON
RFC 3168 Explicit Congestion Notification: OFF
RFC 1323 Time Stamping: ON
RFC 1323 Window Scaling: ON
Information: Network Middlebox is modifying MSS variable
Server IP addresses are preserved End-to-End
Client IP address not found. For IE users, modify the Java parameters
click Tools - Internet Options - Security - Custom Level, scroll down to
Microsoft VM - Java permissions and click Custom, click Java Custom Settings
Edit Permissions - Access to all Network Addresses, click Eanble and save changes

0 Likes