Slow service on Netflix
ajenkins1992
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi,

We all know you're throttling Netflix. I pay to be able to watch Netflix, Netflix does not have to pay you directly. I cannot watch Netflix. I will stop paying if I cannot watch Netflix. I will switch to another ISP, because I want to watch Netflix. Please sort it out. The disingenuous increase in upload speed in an attempt to keep your customers means little to me if I cannot watch Netflix. Do not suggest that anything about my connection is misconfigured, as I can watch Netflix fine through a VPN. I know how the internet works. You are throttling it. Please stop or I will take my money elsewhere. I do not pay 100 dollars a month on internet for 150 down 75 up for this. I only use 150 down for Netflix, and again, I cannot stress this enough, I am inches away from switching to an ISP that does not throttle Netflix. I do not appreciate the attempted moneygrab.

Regards,

A fed up customer

Re: Slow service on Netflix
PJL
Master - Level 3

@ajenkins1992 wrote:

Hi,

We all know you're throttling Netflix. I pay to be able to watch Netflix, Netflix does not have to pay you directly. I cannot watch Netflix. I will stop paying if I cannot watch Netflix. I will switch to another ISP, because I want to watch Netflix. Please sort it out. The disingenuous increase in upload speed in an attempt to keep your customers means little to me if I cannot watch Netflix. Do not suggest that anything about my connection is misconfigured, as I can watch Netflix fine through a VPN. I know how the internet works. You are throttling it. Please stop or I will take my money elsewhere. I do not pay 100 dollars a month on internet for 150 down 75 up for this. I only use 150 down for Netflix, and again, I cannot stress this enough, I am inches away from switching to an ISP that does not throttle Netflix. I do not appreciate the attempted moneygrab.

Regards,

A fed up customer

You might want to read the various post which include some technical information that explains the poor Netflix streaming performance, expecially the discussions of saturation at peering points operated between Verizon and third-parties like NTT, Telia and L3 (some of the content provider ISPs used by Netflix).

As the announced direct connects between Netflix and Verizon are implemented and the peering points eliminated, this Netflix service becomes what it should be. People at some east coast locations and the Dallas-Fort Worth area are reporting direct Netflix routing to the Verizon network (bypassing the middle man networks) and better performance.  I believe the most heavily congested places were dealt with first, with others to follow.

0 Likes
Mainiac007

I think there is a correlation somewhere here.

When on Comcast, netflix streaming was great...

Switched to Verizon, netflix streaming is terrible...

0 Likes
ajenkins1992
Enthusiast - Level 2

PJL,

If Verizon is implementing the direct connects to Level3 then great. If they are not this moment doing that then I am gone. I do not believe Verizon when they say there is saturation, and I suggest you read Level3's explanation (requiring a few-thousand dollar 10gbps cards). It is extremely inexpensive, and I pay Verizon to be fast and to not suck. They are sucking. So, like I said, unless they are literally working on adding the extremely inexpensive interfaces to the interconnects right now I'm gone. If they are going to charge Netflix for me to use their service I'm gone as well. It's that simple. Verizon, fix your service by the end of the month or you've lost a customer.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend
They are direct linking to netflix. Not to Level 3. Level 3 forgot they had this fans problem a few years ago.

http://publicpolicy.verizon.com/blog/entry/level-3s-selective-amnesia-on-peering
0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Fortunately, Verizon and Netflix have found a way to avoid the congestion problems that Level 3 is creating by its refusal to find “alternative commercial terms.” We are working diligently on directly connecting Netflix content servers into Verizon’s network so that we both can keep the interests of our mutual customers paramount."
0 Likes
ajenkins1992
Enthusiast - Level 2

Netflix is still very slow. Verizon, if it hits August and it's still slow you've lost a customer. Time Warner might suck but the only reason I have FiOS is for Netflix, and it's not working.

0 Likes