Slow speed
plmariusz1

I recently upgraded my FIOS internet to 50/35mbp/s from 15/5mbp/s. My question is what should my download speed be like? By download speed I dont mean the speed test resault just the speed in the download window (ctrl+j in windows) when files are being downloaded. When I first got the 50/35mbp/s it used to be around 2.0-2.8mbp/s now  its between 200KB-500KB. I contacted Verizon but they dont see any issues, according to the speed test I'm getting what I'm paying for. Any ideas on what to do? Thanks

0 Likes
Re: Slow speed
Anthony_VZ
Master - Level 3

Sorry to hear that you are having slow speeds. Just because you have an ultra fast connection, it doesn't mean the servers you are connecting to will give you the full amount. They not only have their max limits set, but also have to deal with multiple users accessing the servers for downloads as well. You obviously have the speeds you are subscribed to because the non-Verizon speed test is clocking you at that rate. There really isn't anything you can do to effect the speeds of remote servers sending you files.

0 Likes
Re: Slow speed
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Are you wired or wireless?

if you are wireless, can you find out what revision router you have?  It should be on the service tag of the router.

For the Conversion, You can use a bits/bytes conversion calculator to convert 54Mbps (megabits per second) into Megabytes per second:

http://www.speedguide.net/conversion.php

Note, however, that the 802.11g theoretical 54Mbs maximum throughput includes both directions, and all overhead... For all practical purposes, your connection will be up to about 20 Mbps (~2.2 Megabytes per second), and it will get slower at larger discances.

That's with a Rev A-E router.  Do you know what revision you have?

Check the sticker, because you may have a Rev F router.

@plmariusz1 wrote:

I recently upgraded my FIOS internet to 50/35mbp/s from 15/5mbp/s. My question is what should my download speed be like? By download speed I dont mean the speed test resault just the speed in the download window (ctrl+j in windows) when files are being downloaded. When I first got the 50/35mbp/s it used to be around 2.0-2.8mbp/s now  its between 200KB-500KB. I contacted Verizon but they dont see any issues, according to the speed test I'm getting what I'm paying for. Any ideas on what to do? Thanks

In short, it's bits vs Bytes, so you want to multiply your 500 times 8 (8 bits in a byte) to get a rough estimate of your speed.

500*8 = 4 mbs roughly, give or take.   - and Anthony above is correct.  You may have a beefier connection then where you are downloading from.

If you want to test that, then go to microsofts website  download.microsoft.com and download a large file like ages of empire and see about how fast it goes. 

0 Likes