Slow speeds over wireless N
jamesc2

Hi Guys,

This topic has probably been beaten to death but here goes:

I recently upgraded my internet speed to 75mbps/35mbps.  I also bought the verizon GigE wireless N router (the red one with two antennas) on my own since verizon wont pay for it.   I have ran numerous tests using: http://speedtest.verizon.com/fios300/, www.speedtest.net, and also testmy.net.

I am only getting 36mbps on verizons, 33mbps on speedtest, and 20mbps on testmy.net. over wifi connection.  I am getting what I am paying for connected via ethernet cable but as you can see my wifi speeds are terrible.   I only use laptops and wireless is what is most important to me.   Am I doing something wrong here? And yes I have a wireless n capable ethernet card and have tried the optimizing site from verizon.    Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,

James

0 Likes
Re: Slow speeds over wireless N
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Do you have any G devices connected at the same time?  from what I understand, the speed will drop to support the wireless G since the g can't speak with the n protocol. 

Also make sure you've tried the various channels on the router,   1, 6 and 11.  normally 1 will be better than the other. 

login to the router  and click change wireless settings in the first column on the home screen. 

try EACH channel.  

0 Likes
jamesc2

Does an iphone count as a 3g device?  Other than that I dont have any other devices.   I have tried the difference channels, I am getting the highest speed on ch 6 right now.    Kinda frustrated since I paid for both the router and the better service.   

0 Likes
abhi_col
Contributor - Level 3

@jamesc wrote:

Does an iphone count as a 3g device?  Other than that I dont have any other devices.   I have tried the difference channels, I am getting the highest speed on ch 6 right now.    Kinda frustrated since I paid for both the router and the better service.   

Do you know if the laptop's wireless card supports wireless-N connectivity?

0 Likes
jamesc2

yes, my wireless card supports wireless-n connectivity.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

What router did Verizon supply you with or are you currently using for Wireless? If an ActionTec, please state what revision it is using, which can be found on the sticker on the bottom of the unit. If it's a Red banded unit, it's a Rev. I.

Also, what make and model is your laptop's Wireless card? The Windows Device Manager or lspci in Linux should say what exactly you have. Need to know this information as well due to the wide variety of cards and performance levels.

0 Likes
jamesc2

@Smith6612 wrote:

What router did Verizon supply you with or are you currently using for Wireless? If an ActionTec, please state what revision it is using, which can be found on the sticker on the bottom of the unit. If it's a Red banded unit, it's a Rev. I.

Also, what make and model is your laptop's Wireless card? The Windows Device Manager or lspci in Linux should say what exactly you have. Need to know this information as well due to the wide variety of cards and performance levels.

It's the GigE wireless n router, the one with the red band.  My wireless card is: Realtek rtl8723ae wireless lan 802.11n pci-e NIC

0 Likes
jamesc2

bump

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

fios has two speedtests sites

one gives you the option of analysis or detailed results. 

and one does not

use this one and then give us the detailed analysis

http://speedtest.verizon.net 

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

This is probably one of the best ways to explain what is going on here, and why I don't like the Wireless N standard too much: http://mcsindex.com/

That nasty chart shows all of the possible configurations Wirelsss N can operate on and fall back to. The ActionTec MI424WR Rev. I has an Atheros AR9287 2x2 Wireless N card installed inside of it. This is a card commonly found inside of laptops (Which is common for many of today's routers with mPCI-e slots such as the ActionTec). This card is specced for the following by Qualcomm:

Streams: 2x2, MIMO-based

Max PHY Rate: 300Mbps

Bands: 2.4Ghz, B/G/N rated

Max Antennas: 2 per radio

Per the chart linked above, this places the chip at the following:

MCS Index: 15

Guard Interval Rate of: 400ns shortest.

20Mhz Max speed: 144Mbps

40Mhz Max Speed: 300Mbps

Your chip is currently capable of the following:

Streams: 1x1

Antennas: 2, balance

Channel width: 20Mhz or 40Mhz

Band: 2.4Ghz

Guard Interval: 400ns

Per the chart above, your chip is rated at (assuming it also does QAM-64 modulation per Wireless N spec):

MCS Index: 7

Max 20Mhz speed: 72.2

Max 40Mhz Speed: 150Mbps

"Max Assumptions" for both chips assume that the chips are both negotiating a Guard Interval of 400ns and everything else is clean. This is also dependant on the software being used on both ends to drive the chips.

So, story in short, check the speed the computer reports the WI-Fi link is at when it is 5 feet from the router and also in a location where you normally use it. In addition, check to ensure the Rev. I is definitely using WPA2 security (WPA and WEP = BAD), and you do not have WPS (Wireless Protected Setup, the thing that uses a push button on the router) being used on the router. Also, ensure the Rev. I is set for Wireless N mode, either in Compatibility or Performance mode (Performance should give higher speeds). If everything is configured correctly, the devices should be getting at least 65Mbps theoretical link to the ActionTec, which should be able to deliver 25-30Mbps ideally over the Wireless. This is a Wireless N draft speed and is a fallback speed for many chips if they cannot negotiate a higher rate for whatever reason.

Also, take any device currently using the Wireless off the network temporarily and leave just the laptop to use the signal. This will ensure a reduction in speed isn't due to Wireless G devices being present (Which, shouldn't throttle the radio back if they're in use, but it does happen) and will also ensure you've got everything going to your laptop and back.

Ultimately, if you're having trouble getting past 20Mbps, definitely pay attention to the Wireless speeds the computer reports. If it won't go past 65Mbps regardless of what settings you try, what drivers are installed for the Realtek, whether or not the Realtek is set up to support 40Mhz channels, etc, it means the chips cannot negotiate a max speed and instead have to fall back on the lowest "Max compatibility" speed which dates back to the Wireless N Draft days.

tl;dr : Wireless N is a mess. You have to have the right combination of Hardware and Software in place to achieve ideal speeds. Otherwise, you'll be stuck at Draft N speeds of 65Mbps, Single Stream.

0 Likes