Slow throughput with FiOS Internet
Layer_8

I've had FiOS for over 1 year now, and as of the past week or so, have noticed that the connection speeds are HORRIBLE.

I pay for the 20/5 plan and below are various speed test results:

On 5/10, I was averaging 119 - 571 Kbs down. Tests conducted over the course of 3 hours on about 7 occasions.

Today, 5/11, it took me approximately 3 minutes to download a 18 meg file.  On another occasion, it took me about 2 minutes to download a 4.1 meg file.

I'm averaging 129 - 1.1 Mbps today (still unacceptable given the tier I'm paying for). Several tests on speedtest and toast are returning results of 1.17 Mbps down, 1.13 up.

My machine is about 6 weeks old, has Internet Security setup, and anti spyware software.

I have a Core 2 Quad Core 3.0 Ghz machine with 6 Gig of RAM.

Similar results on my MacBook Pro 2.53 Gig machine with 4 Gig of RAM.

I'm getting better performance in my house with a Verizon Wireless EVDO Rev A card then I am with FiOS, so that rules out my equipment.

Any ideas?

0 Likes
Re: Slow throughput with FiOS Internet
EVO_Unlimited
Contributor - Level 2

The thing with the internet is no matter what you're paying for, your internet will only go as fast as the web site servers you visit. I sell the FiOS through telemarketing and we have a portion of our disclosure for the internet - "your speeds may vary based on your computers configuration, speed of the website servers you visit, among other factors, actual connection and the uninterupted use of the service are not garunteed."

They say it's a certain speed, but most website servers and such can't go that fast anyway.

Hope this helps

prisaz
Legend
Have you tried resetting your router? This has happened to me before, and when looking at the logs it seemed to be a denial of service attack from APNIC. China. Rebooting the router may give you a different IP and or solve the issue.
0 Likes
Layer_8

Thanks for the responses.

I haven't looked at the router logs yet, but will do so and reboot it.

Will respond back to let you know how it goes.

0 Likes