Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you switch and bring your phone.

Slow throughput with FiOS Internet

Layer 8
Contributor
Contributor

Slow throughput with FiOS Internet

Message 1 of 4
(5,372 Views)

I've had FiOS for over 1 year now, and as of the past week or so, have noticed that the connection speeds are HORRIBLE.

I pay for the 20/5 plan and below are various speed test results:

On 5/10, I was averaging 119 - 571 Kbs down. Tests conducted over the course of 3 hours on about 7 occasions.

Today, 5/11, it took me approximately 3 minutes to download a 18 meg file.  On another occasion, it took me about 2 minutes to download a 4.1 meg file.

I'm averaging 129 - 1.1 Mbps today (still unacceptable given the tier I'm paying for). Several tests on speedtest and toast are returning results of 1.17 Mbps down, 1.13 up.

My machine is about 6 weeks old, has Internet Security setup, and anti spyware software.

I have a Core 2 Quad Core 3.0 Ghz machine with 6 Gig of RAM.

Similar results on my MacBook Pro 2.53 Gig machine with 4 Gig of RAM.

I'm getting better performance in my house with a Verizon Wireless EVDO Rev A card then I am with FiOS, so that rules out my equipment.

Any ideas?

3 REPLIES 3
EVO_Unlimited
Bronze Contributor II
Bronze Contributor II

Re: Slow throughput with FiOS Internet

Message 2 of 4
(5,265 Views)

The thing with the internet is no matter what you're paying for, your internet will only go as fast as the web site servers you visit. I sell the FiOS through telemarketing and we have a portion of our disclosure for the internet - "your speeds may vary based on your computers configuration, speed of the website servers you visit, among other factors, actual connection and the uninterupted use of the service are not garunteed."

They say it's a certain speed, but most website servers and such can't go that fast anyway.

Hope this helps

--------------------------------------------------------------
Give Kudos to those who deserve.
"Any man can stand adversaty, but if you really want to test a mans character, give him power." - Abraham Lincoln
prisaz
Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III

Message 3 of 4
(5,262 Views)
Have you tried resetting your router? This has happened to me before, and when looking at the logs it seemed to be a denial of service attack from APNIC. China. Rebooting the router may give you a different IP and or solve the issue.
Layer 8
Contributor
Contributor

Message 4 of 4
(5,244 Views)

Thanks for the responses.

I haven't looked at the router logs yet, but will do so and reboot it.

Will respond back to let you know how it goes.

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Have a spare Fios-G1100?Learn how to bridge it into your network
Get Started

Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.
Modal Dialogue Title