Slow upload speeds - Gigabit
kbbeer
Enthusiast - Level 2

I starting noticing a week ago that my upload speeds were very slow (50-100 Mbps), but download are holding strong in the 500-900 Mbps range.. I've tried a few different ways to troubleshoot, but can't seem to resolve the problem. Any other thoughts?

1. Speed to the router as per Verizon is good. I tried two different routers Verizon G1100 and Edgerouter Lite.
  2. I eliminated the switch and connected the ethernet from the fios ont direct to the computer. No improvement.
  3. Reset the ONT a few times.
  4. Disconnected all other wired devices, same no improvement.
  5. Tried the speed tests with different wired computers and different speed servers.
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Slow upload speeds - Gigabit
Capricorn1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@kbbeer wrote:

To rephrease on the client test I get around 300/25. That specific computer is a bit slower so the download speeds are in the range of acceptable, but upload isn't. The faster computer gets to around 500-700 download, but only 100 upload max.

It really does sound like you need to call Verizon customer service and get them to schedule a technician to come out. Something's really just not right. (Most of us here are fellow Verizon customers, not employees, so we can't do that on your behalf.)

I'd also recommend trying Verizon's In-Home Agent. I used that when I was having issues with the lower channels on FiOS TV stopped that stopped working. It wasn't able to fix the problem, but it was able to figure out that it wasn't something I could fix either. It took me to an online scheduling page to get a technician out. The technician figured out within 15 minutes that my ONT was partially bad and not converting some of the signals ranges. In that case, my Internet service was still fine, but it might be something similar. He replaced the ONT and everything was back to normal.

View solution in original post

jonjones1
Legend

Call 1-800-VERIZON and see if you are provisioned correctly.

the speed test is only to be for direct ethernet connections from a wired computer to the router to only the broadband speed test site https://www.verizon.com/SpeedTest/routertest.aspx

no other test site is accepted by Fios. The stated speeds for gigabyte are up to 940/880 +/- 

additionally wifi is not any indication of Fios speeds. So you can forget that completely.

like I said call Verizon and see if they can assist.

also you cannot really direct connect to the ONT with a laptop. Fios requires a dhcp which you are not going to get with a laptop connected to the ONT.

0 Likes
kbbeer
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks, but I have done everything you listed.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Does your PC meet speeds when testing to Verizon speed test server?

0 Likes
kbbeer
Enthusiast - Level 2

Router test passes with good speeds. All clients tests fail.

0 Likes
Capricorn1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@kbbeer wrote:

I'm not sure what you mean by "all client tests fail." 

Verizon has had several different versions of a speed test at Broadband Internet Speed Test by Verizon. This is the first time I've used this particular one. There is a very long delay between the end of the download test and the beginning of the upload test. On the order of 30 seconds or so. When you ran this, did you get something like the following? (I have 75/75 Mbps service.)

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@Capricorn1 wrote:

@kbbeer wrote:

I'm not sure what you mean by "all client tests fail." 

Verizon has had several different versions of a speed test at Broadband Internet Speed Test by Verizon. This is the first time I've used this particular one. There is a very long delay between the end of the download test and the beginning of the upload test. On the order of 30 seconds or so. When you ran this, did you get something like the following? (I have 75/75 Mbps service.)

The client test fails is more than likely the “device test “ speed from router to device.

your client side test your showing is just about perfect.

0 Likes
kbbeer
Enthusiast - Level 2

To rephrease on the client test I get around 300/25. That specific computer is a bit slower so the download speeds are in the range of acceptable, but upload isn't. The faster computer gets to around 500-700 download, but only 100 upload max.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@kbbeer wrote:

I believe the post over at https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r31822382-Networking-Slow-upload-speeds-Gigabit

answered your questions. Follow the advice from there.

0 Likes
Capricorn1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@kbbeer wrote:

It really does sound like you need to call Verizon customer service and get them to schedule a technician to come out. Something's really just not right. (Most of us here are fellow Verizon customers, not employees, so we can't do that on your behalf.)

I'd also recommend trying Verizon's In-Home Agent. I used that when I was having issues with the lower channels on FiOS TV stopped that stopped working. It wasn't able to fix the problem, but it was able to figure out that it wasn't something I could fix either. It took me to an online scheduling page to get a technician out. The technician figured out within 15 minutes that my ONT was partially bad and not converting some of the signals ranges. In that case, my Internet service was still fine, but it might be something similar. He replaced the ONT and everything was back to normal.