Slow upload speeds when using my wireless N router
jtravapd

Hello,

I just have a quick question maybe someone can help me out with.  I have my verizon issued G rated router hooked up normally.  I turned off the wifi, and using one of the lan ports ran a cable to my D-link wireless N router.  I wanted to use this router, because it gives me great coverage in my house and have worked great for me in the past.  Anyway, I plugged my pc which has a gigabit adapter directly into one of the four open lan ports on my wireless N router.  Download speeds were consitently between 41mb/s to 45 mb/s which is awesome.  However the upload speeds are horrible and tops out around 3.5mb/s. 

Here is where I need someones help.  If unplug the PC's lan wire from my wireless N router and instead plug it directly into one of  the open ports on the  Verizon router, I get the same download speeds, but now i am getting between 30 and 35mb/s.  Does anyone know why plugging into the lan port on the other router kills the upload speed? It has to be something in the settings, because if I connect wirelessly to either the verizon or the Dlink routers, I get the same upload speeds for both usually around 25mb/s.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks

0 Likes
Re: Slow upload speeds when using my wireless N router
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

I have the same setup, dir-655 (wan port) connected to westell 9100em (lan port), with no speed issue.  However earlier this week my connection speed suddenly went to 30/2 .  Had the ont reset and also reset the VZ router and still had same issue.  Finally tracked the slow upload to being the dlink router.  Reset that to factory defaults, ran the optimizer again on the pc and am back to 30/20 - am on a 25/25 connection.  Something messed up in internal dlink router, have no idea what it was but after the reset did get page saying the router was determining the correct setting for the connection.

0 Likes
jtravapd

thank you, ill try that when i get home.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

Saving your configuration before resetting will save you from having to re-enter port forwarding rules etc.

0 Likes
pl626
Contributor - Level 1

jtravapd - have you resolved your upload issue yet?  Is there a reason your d-link is not in front of your AT?  On your d-link, do you have QoS turned on?  I recently upgraded my plan from the ancient 30/5 to 35/35.  Like you, my dl speeds are consistantly between 41-44, but initially my upload speeds were sub 5. My d-Link is in front of my AT, as I have an ethernet connection to my ONT.  If you have a coax, you're stuck with the AT in front, unless you are willing to call V* and wait for hours or days for them to turn on your ethernet connection at the ONT.

After messing around with V* FSC for a few hours, they concluded it's my router, since after putting the AT back in front of my d-link DIR655 (fw1.21), the best upload I could get was~14. So they are sending me a new AT revG to replace my AT revC. 

I totally forgot that I had QoS enabled on the DIR655 (I have a VoIP phone that needs the prioritization).  At first, I set the Automatic Uplink Speed back to on, and came up with a value of about 16000 kbps.  I reran a few different speed tests and low and behold, my upload speeds had now quadrupled.  Being the stubborn SOB I am, I wasn't content in having less than 25 up, since I'm paying for 35. I poked around a little bit more and came across this thread.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r23361751-

Once I set the Manual Uplink Speed to 100000 kbps (turn off the Automatic Uplink first),  I then reran several tests and voila!  I now consistantly get about 35 up and 43 down, even with QoS enabled!

Needless to say, the d Link is going to stay in front of the AT, even the new one.  With the d-Link, my FIOS TV works just fine, I have the VOD, EPG and all that.  The only thing that doesn't work is the remote access.  I'm totally fine with that.   The other reason I like the DIR 655 is it's wireless N is so much better than the AT, as you're aware.  My iPad (yes, the one with the supposed bad antenna) can connect two floors above without an issue from the DIR655.  Not so for the AT's wireless!  The only reason I'm even bothering with the AT is for the MoCA for FIOS TV, so I have it setup as a bridge.

Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

You don;t say which D-Link router you have.  A number of D-Link routers have an option called "Game-Fuel".  This is a setting that enables specific QOS settings.  If you have Game-Fuel turned on, that can adversely impact your upload.  Game-Fuel uses QOS to ensure that no one user monopolizes the upstream bandwidth.