Slow wired speeds with own router
Chocolate_Atom
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello. I have had Fios for about 6 months now and wanted to get rid of the VZ Gateway altogether. I do have the gigabit service as well as TV. Here is what I did to connect my own router:

1. Release DHCP on VZ Gateway

2. Disconnect VZ Gateway

3. Disconnect STB's

4. Connect ONT ethernet to WAN on Netgear Nighthawk AC1900

5. Connect Nighthawk LAN to Actiontec 2.0 MoCA bonded adapter.

6. Connect coax to Actiontec MoCA adapter.

7. Re-connect STB's

8. Reboot Nighthawk router

I received a new IP from VZ and my internet service is working. Powered on TV's and STB's and TV is working. 

My main computer is hard wired into my Nighthawk router but is having very slow speeds. With the VZ Gateway I was getting about 700-800 d/l and u/l, with a router connection speed of about 950. With my Nighthawk I am getting 150-200 d/l and u/l, with a router connection speed of about 930. This is all done through the official Fios speed test.

My Nighthawk router has no special settings. QoS is turned off, I have the latest firmware. I even tried downgrading to an older firmware, no different. It was suggested I try resetting the ONT, which I have yet to try, but I am not hopeful. Appreciate any help. 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Slow wired speeds with own router
Chocolate_Atom
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well reset the ONT no dice. So I did a factory reset on my Nighthawk. Going through every setting, lo and behold it was the IPv6 setting was disabled. I set it to auto-detect and after it updated, close to gigabit d/l and u/l. No idea how or why it was disabled, but that was the issue.

View solution in original post

jonjones1
Legend

You cannot use verizons proprietary speedtest with a Netgear Nighthawk router.

try using http://www.speedtest.net instead.

it should be close to gig speeds.

if you used the Nighthawk in AP (access point) mode previously the router (netgear) must have it turned off. Additionally it may be just a reset of the netgear to have it function correctly. 

I see you hooked everything correctly for your tv function. First try the speedtest net.

Chocolate_Atom
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello, yes I did also do a speedtest.net test. I got the same results, between 150-200 d/l and u/l. My next steps will be to try resetting the ONT, and then if that doesn't work, I will try a factory reset of my Nighthawk router. 

I did have the Nighthawk in AP mode prior to the switch, but changed it back to router function, and then performed a re-boot, but did not do a factory reset.

0 Likes
Chocolate_Atom
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well reset the ONT no dice. So I did a factory reset on my Nighthawk. Going through every setting, lo and behold it was the IPv6 setting was disabled. I set it to auto-detect and after it updated, close to gigabit d/l and u/l. No idea how or why it was disabled, but that was the issue.

LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

For future reference, there is a speed test on the right panel in the community which I have found to be helpful.