Slow wireless
cusesteve

Hi - FIOS customer for 5 days.

Blazing internet speed on my hard wired desktop, but horrible on my ipads - much worse than Time Warner..Should I turn off Verizion's router wifi and use my ASUS RT-AC66U Dual-Band Wireless-AC1750 Gigabit Router? (or just switch back to TW 😞 )

ALso having TV issues with lip sync on DVR and on demand.

THanks for the advice!

0 Likes
Re: Slow wireless
PJL
Master - Level 3

@cusesteve wrote:

Blazing internet speed on my hard wired desktop, but horrible on my ipads - much worse than Time Warner..Should I turn off Verizion's router wifi and use my ASUS RT-AC66U Dual-Band Wireless-AC1750 Gigabit Router? (or just switch back to TW 😞 )

You might check the WiFi channel that is in use.  It may be different than what your current router is using which may be causing interference from other networks on the same WiFi channel.  Find an iPad app that allows you to scan the network and see all the received WiFi networks and their signal strength.  (I can recommend an Android app, but not for IOS unfortumately.)  If you see the channel your router is using is on top of another network, try setting the router to a different channel.  It's in the advanced WiFi settings.  The default is "automatic" which may not be the best channel.

I had a similar issue with my Android tablets, and when I scanned the network and selected a better channel, my performance improved considerably.  (Also, I've read on some forums that the iPad WiFi doesn't like conflicting networks.)

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@cusesteve wrote:

ALso having TV issues with lip sync on DVR and on demand.

THanks for the advice!

You don't mention what kind of router they gave you.  If it is one of the old ones they were only wireless G.  If it is a Wireless N version then
Make sure you are using wpa2 security, the router is in performance mode and that all your devices are N capable.
You don't need to turn off the wireless on the Verizon router.  You can just use the other router's wireless as a secondary Access Point.

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

@viafax999 wrote:
You don't need to turn off the wireless on the Verizon router.  You can just use the other router's wireless as a secondary Access Point.

Tot that I would add if you do have both wifi services running, make sure they are on different channels so as to not interfer with each other.

I use my Actiontec wifi at one end of our house and a second WAP in the basement at the other end of the house.  No problems because I have one on channel 11 and the other on channel 1.

0 Likes
cusesteve

OK, I need help! I tried and tried to get my own wireless router up and running yesterday and failed! I have doen this many other times and know what I am doing and am stuck.

First, I went in usingthe Verizon router and changed channels to see if things got better, they did not. This was the BEST I got:

Download: 1.92 Mbps
Upload: 2.34 Mbps
Ping: 94 ms

So, I turned off the Verizon wireless and set mine up - it didnt seem like they were communicating. I could see the ASUS router 'live' and producing a signal...any suggestions. I hope I jsut missed something easy after a long day!

Thanks!

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@cusesteve wrote:

OK, I need help! I tried and tried to get my own wireless router up and running yesterday and failed! I have doen this many other times and know what I am doing and am stuck.

First, I went in usingthe Verizon router and changed channels to see if things got better, they did not. This was the BEST I got:

Download: 1.92 Mbps
Upload: 2.34 Mbps
Ping: 94 ms

So, I turned off the Verizon wireless and set mine up - it didnt seem like they were communicating. I could see the ASUS router 'live' and producing a signal...any suggestions. I hope I jsut missed something easy after a long day!

Thanks!

How did you connect the 2 routers? as a bridged setup or as a new subnet setup?

If bridged you should have connected lan- lan

If a new subnete then lan to wan after first configuring the asus to be someting other than subnet 192.168.1

0 Likes
cusesteve
i am trying for bridged...WAN to WAN
0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@cusesteve wrote:
i am trying for bridged...WAN to WAN

Bridged is lan to lan

The VZ router is connected via moca, or if you are a cat5 connection ont- wan

The asus should be a lan port from the VZ router to a lan port on the Asus router.  

0 Likes
cusesteve
ugh..still cant get t his to work...says cant connect to internet...letting try and detect on its own...the asus router is working, i can see it as an option on my ipad...

so frustrating that the speed is so bad...specifically switched f rom TWC for better internet
0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@cusesteve wrote:
ugh..still cant get t his to work...says cant connect to internet...letting try and detect on its own...the asus router is working, i can see it as an option on my ipad...

so frustrating that the speed is so bad...specifically switched f rom TWC for better internet

Maybe I wasn't totally clear.

You should have DISABLED the dhcp server on the Asus when you bridged it.  If you don't it will hand out ip addresses to the connected devices based on what the asus dhcp server thinks is it's local network.  Once you disable the Asus dhcp server the dhcp request will be forwaded to the Verizon router which will hand out addresses on the 192.168.1 subnet.

0 Likes