Slower Speeds/Bandwidth Issues Post- 5GHz Update
willh1984

After I started seeing the 2 different network names (the one with and one without "5G") my speed has dropped drastically. It's affecting devices across the board, on my Xbox, PC, smartphone and Mac. I have the highest plan my apartments allow- the 30mbps. Before the 5Ghz update last week, on any device I could easily achieve download speeds up to 3 MB per second. Since then however, I yet to have a download anything faster than 750KB per second. 

Also my bandwidth seems to have been affected as well. Used to be able to multitask pretty easily, say while I have Netflix going on my Xbox. Now if I am watching Netflix, I can hardly load a webpage on my smartphone. 

Powercycling, disconnecting/reconnecting the cables and factory resetting the router haven't done anything. Anyone know why this update would cause slower speeds when it's supposed to have been better?

0 Likes
Re: Slower Speeds/Bandwidth Issues Post- 5GHz Update
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Which network are you connecting to?

Given the fact they had the same name, you may have been conencting to the 5G before but now only connecting to 2.4G.

Are you doing this wired or wireless?

Can you test wired?

0 Likes
willh1984

I'm getting the slower speeds on both 5G and the 2.4G. I just tested the wired connection and its the same story. So maybe it's not the wifi but it's got to be related to that update. I had no bandwidth or speed issues prior to the update. Never had any problems since installation last summer. These are my results on Verizon Speedtest:

Latency- 22ms | Download Speed- 5.11 Mbps | Upload Speed - 2.77Mbps

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Definitely an issue you need to contact support about.

0 Likes
willh1984

Calling support would have been my next step but first I thought I'd try something- and it actually worked.

I disconnected & deleted the wireless settings of every wifi capable device I have. Then I completely disconnected/reconnected the router & for good measure factory reset it again. Bandwidth and slowness issue are gone. Getting the proper speeds again!

0 Likes