Slower speed than expected
TheBuzzyBee
After a troublesome FiOS installation, which took 4 days to finish installation, we are currently having trouble with the internet. We have out SmartTV hooked up using the Ethernet cable and our laptop, iPad and iPhone is using wireless. Through the Ethernet the Internet speed is close to what we are paying for 50mbps/25mbps. When I test my wireless speed on my phone I get 22mbps MAX. At night often times the speed is slow and a couple of times I have lost service.

Just last night (early this morning) at 1am the wireless on my phone has dropped and I was using my LTE and when I got my wireless back the speed was 0.65mbps. And that was the fastest speed I got after multiple tests.

I been testing my wireless speed and been getting a 22mbps speed.

I'm actually quite disappointed that I'm getting half the speed for what I am paying for. Even though I'm using wireless I don't expect to get 50mbps but I DO expect something close, like 40mbps at least.
0 Likes
Re: Slower speed than expected
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader
0 Likes
VUser50
Contributor - Level 2

@TheBuzzyBee wrote:
After a troublesome FiOS installation, which took 4 days to finish installation, we are currently having trouble with the internet. We have out SmartTV hooked up using the Ethernet cable and our laptop, iPad and iPhone is using wireless. Through the Ethernet the Internet speed is close to what we are paying for 50mbps/25mbps. When I test my wireless speed on my phone I get 22mbps MAX. At night often times the speed is slow and a couple of times I have lost service.

Just last night (early this morning) at 1am the wireless on my phone has dropped and I was using my LTE and when I got my wireless back the speed was 0.65mbps. And that was the fastest speed I got after multiple tests.

I'm actually quite disappointed that I'm getting half the speed for what I am paying for. Even though I'm using wireless I don't expect to get 50mbps but I DO expect something close, like 40mbps at least.

1. Don't use your phone (or iPad) to test speeds. To save battery life and physical space the WiFi radio in them tends to be weaker. Phone manufactures also assume (and probs correctly) you really don't need any super high speeds on your phone. If you are going to test the WiFi speeds you really need to use a laptop.
  2. Try upping your speeds (and consistency) with some tips here: http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-Internet/Why-your-Wi-Fi-is-slow/td-p/534451
  3. You might want to buy your own router and set it up behind Verizon's. It sucks to pay more money, but for best WiFi speeds, a little Amazon shopping for a better router is necessary. If Verizon didn't give you an N router you might want to complain and try to get the G one they gave you replaced but even their N router isn't the best in my opinion. 
0 Likes
VUser50
Contributor - Level 2

Case in point on mobile speed tests: On my network (I have a non-VZ router for WiFi if that matters) I pay for 75/35. 

Average speed test on my Galaxy S3: 30 Mbps down and 30 Mbps up (and that varies a lot... never get download speeds above 40 Mbps, and sometimes as low as 20 Mbps)

Averege speed test on my computer: 77 Mbps down and 30 Mbps up

Both tested in the same location (right on top of the router) and on the same band. 

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@TheBuzzyBee wrote:

Looks just about right for wreless-G connection which is probably all that your VZ router provides.

Add your own Wireless-N wap or router and you'll get the extra speed so long as your signal is adequate and you set it to wreless-n only.