Slower speed than some dial-up connections
SnailSpeedWiFi

I tested my router.  Results: 4mpg/1mpg .   Wife and I are frustrated that we've been paying for the "fastest speed available" for 10+ years and have slower speeds than our 2006 broadband connection that went out everytime there was high winds.  What gives?

0 Likes
Re: Slower speed than some dial-up connections
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

What router are you using? Are you getting the same results with an ethernet connection? If wired speeds are good and more than one device is getting those bad wifi speeds it is probably the router. 

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

First question would be are you using WiFi with DSL? Or Fios?

DSL uses copper and is not supported by Verizon in certain areas so they are trying to get customers upgraded to faster more stable Fios service.

verizon does not guarantee WiFi just hardwire connection even on their fiber optics, let alone on dsl. As the other poster stated it could be your router/dsl modem.

0 Likes
SnailSpeedWiFi

I have FiOS and hard wired connection is much better.  Ran another test on my tablet for work that's brand new and it was 5/3.   

I don't know what router I have but it's the one Verizon installed when I first got FiOS in 2008

0 Likes
TomH121
Community Leader
Community Leader
0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

If you have the 2008 router it is probably an actiontec and not the Quantum Gateway Router G1100

on WiFi on Fios (what speed are you paying for)? 25/25 or  50/50 or 75/75 or 100/100 on up.

wifi is not guaranteed but even in worst case you can get minimum of 25/25 so I am thinking a bad router or you have a bad ONT.

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@SnailSpeedWiFi wrote:

I have FiOS and hard wired connection is much better.  Ran another test on my tablet for work that's brand new and it was 5/3.   

I don't know what router I have but it's the one Verizon installed when I first got FiOS in 2008

Like previously asked what speed are you paying for? And what are the hardwired speeds. If installed in 2008 it’s probably the Actiontec MI424WR router with one antenna. If so that router is 2.4 GHz wireless G so you should be getting up to 50 mbps on wifi. If you have good wired speeds than the problem is the router.

As other poster said I think it’s probably the router.  

0 Likes