Small or Big ONT?
maortega15
Enthusiast - Level 2

I currently live in an apartment building in NYC and currently have a big white Alcatel ONT in my closet. I thought about swapping out the big ONT with a much smaller black one. A tech came over today and was supposed to put in but warned me that if he does swap the ONT out, that my service, internet speed, picture, etc. would decline. He also said that the black ONT which was almost the size as the router, was only good for a dial tone. So I decided just to keep the current big ONT. Maybe someone here can shed some light on this.

0 Likes
Re: Small or Big ONT?
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

Utter nonsense.  Tech didn't want to be troubled with swapping out the ONT.

0 Likes
maortega15
Enthusiast - Level 2

He was saying like the wires and such would be exposed, etc.

Maybe someone here has an actual review about those small routers. 

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@maortega15 wrote:

Maybe someone here has an actual review about those small routers. 

I have heard/read that they are not routers.

0 Likes
maortega15
Enthusiast - Level 2

Sorry for the typo. I meant ONT.

Anyone have any feedback regarding those small ONT's?

0 Likes
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

All ONTs that VZ provides do the job they are designed for.

You can find a feature comparison here:

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16637

0 Likes
maortega15
Enthusiast - Level 2

I checked that website out but I'm not sure which one I have and which was was supposed to be installed. I also spoke to a phone rep before the supposed installation date and he also mentioned that the small ONT can cause a problem as well but did not specify what exact problem I would encounter.

0 Likes
maortega15
Enthusiast - Level 2

Anyone have those small ONT's? 

0 Likes
JoeBoo24
Enthusiast - Level 2

Dude...If it aint broke don't fix it!    Those older Alcatels are better. I have the my original 610 and its been bulletproof since day one...Im lucky.  Seriously don't replace if it aint broke.

Good Luck.

Hubrisnxs
Legend

yeah if you have an ONT that supports your speed than stick with it,   if you get the new one it's NEW and thus by definition, not a lot of people have experience with it. 

From what I have seen though, it works fine but can be a PITA when you need to troubleshoot a real problem, as the resp and the field tech's don't really have a lot of experience with it.     So don't expect service problems, but expect Support problems.   If you're not techy and can't do things yourself then you will pull your hair out if you have to call support regarding it.

0 Likes