Smokin'....new 150/35 package coming.....
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

"Verizon is adding a new tier of service to its FiOS fiber broadband service, offering 150Mbit/sec downstream and 35Mbit/sec upstream for $194.99 per month."

See the rest here:

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9197738/Verizon_speeds_up_FiOS_to_150Mbit_sec

Re: Smokin'....new 150/35 package coming.....
prisaz
Legend
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

@eljefe wrote:

"Verizon is adding a new tier of service to its FiOS fiber broadband service, offering 150Mbit/sec downstream and 35Mbit/sec upstream for $194.99 per month."

See the rest here:

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9197738/Verizon_speeds_up_FiOS_to_150Mbit_sec

*Chokes on coffee* ...and it's available to residential customers.

That's an insane speed. What could residential customers possibly do with that much bandwidth that isn't illegal or against the TOS? (Other than throw one hell of a LAN party.)

eljefe2
Master - Level 1

@somegirl wrote:

That's an insane speed. What could residential customers possibly do with that much bandwidth that isn't illegal or against the TOS? (Other than throw one hell of a LAN party.)

I always wondered the same thing when Cablevision came out with a 100/15 tier a year or so ago.   Enthusiasts on the forum there who subscribed to the package were pretty tight lipped about why they needed it.  But they NEEDED it.

Maybe they just like to see speed tests run off scale?  Or....who knows?Smiley Tongue

prisaz
Legend

@somegirl wrote:

@eljefe wrote:

See the rest here:

Run wireless WiFi access points and sell to your neighbors? Like you said violate TOS and laws. Now if we could do that and not Violate TOS. I would be all up for that. I think even business class service restricts the resale of services. Hum interesting? I have a nice Hawking AP that can hit everything in my neighborhood. One on my top floor has adjustments to limit the area of distribution. (recommended).

Oh by the way. Only available in areas with GPON ONT availability. Not available at my location. I checked for fun.

0 Likes
starranger001
Enthusiast - Level 1

This is "Smokin'" from only the USA point of view.  Some countries (Japan, S Korea) just to name a couple that popped into my head routinely have residential service at 100/100 and nobody seems bent out of shape over that.  This is the same mindset that accepts Americans having to pay the highest prices in the world for prescription drugs. 

While Verizon's installation of fiber to the home is appreciated it seems that Verizon is beginning to have second thoughts about how much of the country should be "wired" with fiber cable. 

prisaz
Legend

@starranger00 wrote:

This is "Smokin'" from only the USA point of view.  Some countries (Japan, S Korea) just to name a couple that popped into my head routinely have residential service at 100/100 and nobody seems bent out of shape over that.  This is the same mindset that accepts Americans having to pay the highest prices in the world for prescription drugs. 

While Verizon's installation of fiber to the home is appreciated it seems that Verizon is beginning to have second thoughts about how much of the country should be "wired" with fiber cable. 

I like your comment and agree with it, but I bet if the Obama administration could kick into a super fund, and get congressional approval, I am sure Verizon would be happy to do more. But then do we have MaBell all over again. Hey I think the whole country should have a 100 terabyte  backbone and gigabit synchronous to very house, we did invent the Internet right. DARPA Who pays for it, our tax dollars. Perhaps we should stop building strike fighters and get out friends to support our defense like the countries mentioned. Then we could be on top again. Hey what about those refueling planes to keep the never ending war fueled and ready to go. Sorry I went on a tangent and off topic. I believe in defense but just not the political war machine!

Javsld568
Enthusiast - Level 3

I think when it comes down to it, this is not for those who just go on the web to look at youtube vids, go on facebook and check emails. this is for those households who have many users who do heavy gaming and also plan to run FTP server, web server, or a Dedicated server for the games.

I would love to know i can redownload all my steam games within minutes, i remember having DSL i used to take all day just to download 1GB (remembering downloading unreal tournament 2003 demo) 90KB/s being my top Download speed at the time... if i had FiOS like i do today 25/15 my mind would have been blown! also if you guys noticed or ever heard of Onlive, that will require a good ammount of bandwidth if you are to play at home at the tv and a couple of computers in each room simultaneously. it may seem overblown... but some people really do put good use to these speeds and i am sure i am one of the first in line to be getting the new tier

edrock200

when will this be available to order in the dc area

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

@edrock200 wrote:

when will this be available to order in the dc area

It would be nice if Verizon would roll out a schedule for any region that has FiOS but I haven't seen one yet.

The "Ultimate" package isn't available in my neck of the woods (Long Island) either.  I checked just out of curiosity but I don't have enough need for that kind of speed to plunk down $200/month anyway.

0 Likes