Re: Smokin'....new 150/35 package coming.....
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

@Javsld568 wrote:

I think when it comes down to it, this is not for those who just go on the web to look at youtube vids, go on facebook and check emails. this is for those households who have many users who do heavy gaming and also plan to run FTP server, web server, or a Dedicated server for the games.

I would love to know i can redownload all my steam games within minutes, i remember having DSL i used to take all day just to download 1GB (remembering downloading unreal tournament 2003 demo) 90KB/s being my top Download speed at the time... if i had FiOS like i do today 25/15 my mind would have been blown! also if you guys noticed or ever heard of Onlive, that will require a good ammount of bandwidth if you are to play at home at the tv and a couple of computers in each room simultaneously. it may seem overblown... but some people really do put good use to these speeds and i am sure i am one of the first in line to be getting the new tier

...which would be violating the TOS. Again, I'm wondering what legitimate use they could have for that kind of bandwidth.

Javsld568
Enthusiast - Level 3

Onlive requires a lot of bandwidth to run, as i said before most i know use 2+ computers, and because not everyone has a high end gaming machine if 3 people simultaneously were playing a game on each computer plus 2 laptops downloading things over the internet, this is going to be required for this particular family (note: each game under the website suggest minimal requirements of a 5-10Mbps connection.)

Javsld568
Enthusiast - Level 3

someone who lives in a mansion, those big homes with number of families ect. ever seen the tv show 19 and counting? yeah imagine 10 teenagers downloading and surfing and some playing games online ect.... just because YOU wouldnt use it and cant imagine not seeing yourself putting it to good use doesnt mean no one else will. i deffinately CAN see myself using it legally!

somegirl
Champion - Level 3

@Javsld568 wrote:

Onlive requires a lot of bandwidth to run, as i said before most i know use 2+ computers, and because not everyone has a high end gaming machine if 3 people simultaneously were playing a game on each computer plus 2 laptops downloading things over the internet, this is going to be required for this particular family (note: each game under the website suggest minimal requirements of a 5-10Mbps connection.)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

someone who lives in a mansion, those big homes with number of families ect. ever seen the tv show 19 and counting? yeah imagine 10 teenagers downloading and surfing and some playing games online ect.... just because YOU wouldnt use it and cant imagine not seeing yourself putting it to good use doesnt mean no one else will. i deffinately CAN see myself using it legally!

From the Onlive site:

On a PC or Mac:

MINIMUM SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS:

Internet Connection: 3 Mbps wired or Wi-Fi connection

RECOMMENDED SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS:

Internet Connection: 5 Mbps wired or Wi-Fi connection

So even with recommended speeds divided equally, that's 30 users. Minimum specs it's 50. This is assuming they are all gaming.

While you're pondering that, consider this: I had the 5/2 package when it was still available. We had 3 users gaming online (WoW) simultaneously with no lag whatsoever.

We have all become conditioned that faster = better, but there comes a point where you simply cannot take advantage of the power you are paying for. While I'm sure people will purchase this package, and they are completely entitled to do so, it would take some serious usage to make the cost worthwhile.

It's like wanting the latest, greatest super computer when all you are going to be doing is browsing the internet.

eljefe2
Master - Level 1

All good points somegirl.

I think what it boils down to is we each have our own threshold of pain when it comes to monthly expenses for a particular service.   If someone can easily afford the $200/mo for the Ultimate package and they want it for whatever reasons....more power to them.

The $200/mo is past my threshold of pain, but as something of a tech junkie who can remember going from 300 baud to 1200 and then (gasp) 2400 baud, the new package is interesting in the trend of more and more bandwidth on the Net.

--eljefe

P.S.

Out of curiosity I checked and found that the 150/35 package is not available here.  Still...who knows what the future will bring? Smiley Happy

PapaTango2
Enthusiast - Level 1

somegirl,

How do you suck up a 150 download pipe, 3 TVs with on demand streaming True HD Blu-Ray quality programing. Optimal Blu-Ray data transfer at 54Mps. Netflix, which I watch on my Xbox 360 offers some HD programing, but it still doesn't hold a candle to the same programming on Blu-Ray. Higher streaming rates = no waiting for what I want, when I want it. I predict a market emerging that offers what you want to watch when you want to watch it. Forget about Home DVR, you will watch whatever show you want to watch without recording it, and it will be instant. Think about it, I had to work late, I missed Monday Night Football and it's 1 AM. I forgot to program the DVR @#$%@#!!! Man, I'm mad. But wait, I go to on demand and pull up the program that just aired 4 hours earlier, I'm a happy camper. Programing when you want the program. Near immediate access to whatever you want to watch, when you want to watch it. That's the future of entertainment and for that to happen, you are going to need sizeable pipe.