Switch Account

So Tired of FIOS Slow Downs At Night

So Tired of FIOS Slow Downs At Night

SOLVED
Platinum Contributor II Platinum Contributor II
Platinum Contributor II
Message 11 of 16
(3,754 Views)

This must really be an issue in certain areas.

I just ran this test (http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/112135) and got 55+ each way on my 50/50 plan.

Lowest I have seen in months is 28Mb.

If a forum member gives an answer you like, give them the Kudos they deserve. If a member gives you the answer to your question, mark the answer as Accepted Solution so others can see the solution to the problem.
Contributor bitbender
Contributor
Message 12 of 16
(3,670 Views)

I think the packets going to the speed test servers are not hindered nor is the path up to youtube , netflix etc. Traceroute shows 7 hops to it.

However the path down from these servers magically have 30 steps on traceroute ;-)

Contributor VAHomeOwner
Contributor
Message 13 of 16
(2,033 Views)

I have a similar problem.  The FIOS technicicans only come out between 8 am and 5pm.  The slowdown and bottleneck occurs between 7-9pm.  I get 25% of the bandwidth I am paying for at that time.  I want FIOS to fix the problem but I may just be forced to go back to Comcast.  Maybe enough people have left Comcast in my area that the speeds will be good.

Platinum Contributor II Platinum Contributor II
Platinum Contributor II
Message 14 of 16
(2,017 Views)

Run your test to speedtest.verizon.net when it is good and then again when it is bad.

Run it from a device that is hard wired to router.

If performance is fine in both instances, that means that connection to Verizon network is ok.

There could be non Verizon issues in your area (say a local Internet gateway) causing the issue.

If your evening test fails, you can use that data to contact support.

If a forum member gives an answer you like, give them the Kudos they deserve. If a member gives you the answer to your question, mark the answer as Accepted Solution so others can see the solution to the problem.
Contributor DavidPlantz
Contributor
Message 15 of 16
(1,332 Views)

Two things I recomend doing. One is get a usb eathernet adaptor from Amazon.com hook that to your router and run some speed tests. I bought one for around 15 bucks as my Macbook Pro does not have an eathenet port. The other is that your router may have issues that make the slow down worse.  Also use the 5ghz wifi setting as it has much better performance than the 2.4ghz band. 

Moderator Moderator
Message 16 of 16
(435 Views)

As this thread is now over two years old, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.

Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.