So is FiOS available in Ohio or not?
Optimax

Welp, I live in Ohio. I've dealt with the sucky and monopolized prices of Time Warner and AT&T. They're down speeds are terrible, and their up speeds are pretty much non-existent. I have wanted to stream online gaming through twitch for years, and haven't been able to due to time warner giving me 1-3mbps up, and AT&T currently gives me 1mbps up. 

So I decided to randomly come on verizons site and check availability for my zip code. I used this link here to punch in my zip code: http://fios.verizon.com/fios-coverage.html

I was shocked to death when it said that FiOS was available in my area. Is this true? I am in Fairborn, Ohio. Which is near Dayton / Beavercreek / Wright State University. I would do ANYTHING to get my hands on some decent down AND up speeds. I am assuming what this is talking about, is that the LTE crap is available in my area, which isn't what I am looking for.

Thanks.

0 Likes
Re: So is FiOS available in Ohio or not?
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

The website does show availability in zip code 45324.  However, to find out if FiOS is available at your specific address you'll have to call the number listed on the website you visited:

1-877-287-3651

Give them a call; ask them if FiOS is available at your address; keep your fingers crossed. Smiley Wink

Good luck!

0 Likes
Optimax

I spoke to Live Chat, they said the current address I am at doesnt have FiOS available. But I don't understand why? I am in the heart of Fairborn, really close to a large University, and I live in a popular apartment complex. 

I am moving in a couple months a little ways down the road, to a large townhome area, hopefully its available there, but I am guessing not. I gave the Live Chat lady the address to the townhome complex listed on Google, but she said she cant check it because I don't have my own exact address yet...

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

Unfortunately, there's no rhyme or reason why FiOS is available in a particular neighborhood and not in another.  And if it's not available, there's no way to know if or when it will becoming to your address.

Even if FiOS was available at your current address, you'd want to be careful signing up for it unless you were sure it's available where you're moving to.  The FiOS TOS has a provision that you agree to pay an early termination fee if you cancel before the term of your agreement is up....even if you're moving to somewhere where service isn't available.

Once you know what your new address will be, call that phone number or go back to live chat and give it another try.

edit:   One additional thought....you said you live in a large apartment complex.  A FiOS installation in an apartment building requires co-operation of the landlord.  It's possible that your landlord didn't agree to have the FiOS wiring done, which might explain why there's no service available at your current address.

0 Likes
Optimax

Thanks for all the info. I went to this link: http://www.verizon.com/home/fiosavailability/ and threw in a handful of random homes addresses throughout Fairborn (not even apartments or town homes) and it said none of them had availability. I tried random homes, other apartment complexes, etc. on that link and none of them were available according to that link. 😕

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

Bummer.  Unfortunately, it is what it is.  Verizon has curtailed expansion of FiOS service areas, I assume for business reasons.  I consider myself lucky to have had service become available at my address several years ago.

Good luck in finding faster service that works for you.

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Frontier owns FIOS assets in OHIO.  You really need to talk to them.

Optimax

Thanks for the info. I checked their site. Dayton, OH is one of their main locations they list. But when I punch in any dayton zip codes, it says that their FIOS is unavailable in that area. As well as my zip code, which is a sub-city of Dayton lol.

0 Likes