So upset with verizon for giving up on news groups
Howard3
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am very upset!!! NNTP news groups and a news reader are the best way to view threaded discussion and have been for 30 years. They claim that it is an outdated way of doing things. Just because you can jam something down port 80 doesn't mean that you should. Now I am stuck having to use some lousy piece of web based software to do threaded discussion, when I had a wonderful dedicated, fast, client that was designed to do just the job of threaded discussion. HTML, xhtml, etc. are lousy for doing page layout, let alone a real application.

This stinks.

Re: So upset with Verizon for giving up on news groups
prisaz
Legend

@Howard3 wrote:

I am very upset!!! NNTP news groups and a news reader are the best way to view threaded discussion and have been for 30 years. They claim that it is an outdated way of doing things. Just because you can jam something down port 80 doesn't mean that you should. Now I am stuck having to use some lousy piece of web based software to do threaded discussion, when I had a wonderful dedicated, fast, client that was designed to do just the job of threaded discussion. HTML, xhtml, etc. are lousy for doing page layout, let alone a real application.

This stinks.

You could always pay for GigaNews. They can fill a FiOS pipe. Verizon news group servers could not, and I did not see them investing anything with them. Good riddance!

Another issue why I think they dropped the USENET first, was because of all the multipart binaries, and copywrite issues they did not wish to contend with. Now they have the forums web based and no longer need to support something when they can pay **bleep** to host their forums. Funny that the name of the forum software provider is bleeped out. Well it can be read at the bottom of the forums page.

Re: So upset with verizon for giving up on news groups
jeffatncx
Enthusiast - Level 1

I totally agree. The web bassed crap just doesnt cut it. So now if I want quality, easy to search, multiple groups, I have to pay on top of what I am already paying Verizon. Ugggghghhhh

rdh3
Enthusiast - Level 1

What's even worse that the fact that they evidently did away with news.verizon.net -- they still have directions online telling how to set it up.  It wasn't until I did a search on nntp that I finally found this thread.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Verizon's newsgroups have been gone for around two years now. I can't blame them for wanting to get rid of them. They were becoming a haven for e-mail address harvesting, spam, and copyright issues for the company. Not many ISPs offer Newsgroup access, and the ones that do typically allow nothing more than postings to the server with perhaps small amounts of data. Microsoft's own Newsgroup server seemed to have disappeared recently for me, though I need to see if that is due to port blocking. There is always a 3rd party Newsgroup provider, however. I certainly loved spending time reading Newsgroups though. A lot of neat discussions tend to appear in them and many were worthwhile to read.

As far as the forum software name, does the forum REALLY bleep out the word Lithium? It's an element for crying out loud 😛

0 Likes