Something change recently for port access?
TheDanno1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've been using ports 8888 and 8081 for viewing webcam pictures but last Thursday (Jan. 6, 2011) they stopped working.  My Actiontec router settings are verified to have not changed, the ports work locally, but I can no longer access them from outside my network.  Anyone know of any changes on the Verizon FIOS end?  Anyone else experiencing problems with ports no longer working?

Dan

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Something change recently for port access?
TheDanno1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Mine mysteriously started working again on its own (just turned back on 1/9) just as mysteriously as it stopped working.  Maybe just a glitch for a few days is right.

Dan

View solution in original post

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 Go to https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

#2 Click on proceed

#3 Say ok, to the alert. It is fine.

#4 Type in the ports that you forwarded in the router.

#5 Click on user specified custom port probe

#6 If the port (s) are not open, then in your router go to Advanced -> IP Address Distribution

#7 What is the Starting and Ending IP Address?

SimonMason
Contributor - Level 1

Port 143 just stopped working in my house this morning.  I have been going crazy trying to figure out what is wrong and it appers that it is in the fios network.  What a waste of time!! 

I can use the port internally, but I can't access it when using my IP from outside of the network.  I am not using the same ports as you so I can't verify if they are working here, but it is suspicious that we both have these problems at the same time!

0 Likes
SimonMason
Contributor - Level 1

My port 143 is showing open when I use the Gibson research port scan.  However, it is not passing through the Actiontech router.  I have checked the router and confirmed that this port is forwarded - as it has been since I installed it.  I could try deleting the port forward in the router and then add it back in again?  (this router is a POS as is the wireless that is built into it!)

dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@SimonMason wrote:

My port 143 is showing open when I use the Gibson research port scan.  However, it is not passing through the Actiontech router.  I have checked the router and confirmed that this port is forwarded - as it has been since I installed it.  I could try deleting the port forward in the router and then add it back in again?  (this router is a POS as is the wireless that is built into it!)

#1 It was stealth OR Closed but now it is open. Check the Starting and Ending IP Address in the router as directed.

What is the Starting and Ending IP Address?

[EDIT] ]#2 What are you trying to host? For example, a VNC Server (Remote View/Control over a computer)

0 Likes
SimonMason
Contributor - Level 1

It just started working again.  This was clearly an issue in the Verizon network.  Is there a place to look for outages or other information so we don't waste our time trying to diagnose these issues?  Thanks.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend
No there isn't unfortunately but they don't block ports like that so its more likely it was a glitch with the router or firewall.
TheDanno1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Mine mysteriously started working again on its own (just turned back on 1/9) just as mysteriously as it stopped working.  Maybe just a glitch for a few days is right.

Dan

0 Likes
SimonMason
Contributor - Level 1

This is looking suspiciously like a network issue, not a router issue.  Unless Verizon has some remote control of the routers, which seems extremely unlikely?  I rebooted my router several times while trying to diagnose this and it did not solve the problem - it just started working later in the day.  I am in NJ, where are the other posters?  Perhaps it was a localized event?

Is there anyway to use another router on the Fios network or are we locked into this one because of the TV?  I have had numerous problems with this router.  I have currently off-loaded all internal network activity in my house to another giagabit switch that is plugged into the Actiontech.  I have also disabled the wireless in favor of a far superior wireless access point in the house.  So I am using it for nothing other than choking my connection to the wonderful fibre optic network with it's rdiculously small NAT?

0 Likes
SimonMason
Contributor - Level 1

This continues to happen - I am thinking it is the NAT on the ActionTech router.  Are there any other router options offered by Verizon?  What do they offer for small business?  Perhaps I could get one of those?

0 Likes