Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get it fast with In-Store & Curbside Pickup or same day delivery.

Speed Test Discrepancy

SOLVED
Hubrisnxs
Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III

Re: Speed Test Discrepancy

Message 11 of 18
(5,144 Views)

@jumpin68ny wrote:

I set up an FTP server on my desktop and a friend who is also on FiOS but in Pittsburgh copied a file from me and the most we saw speed wise out of it was 142 kbps.  The file was 450meg and took a long time.  

How can I get better speed out of an ftp transfer that would give some good band width speeds?  My friend and I both have 20/5 service and I used cerebus ftp for the server and he used simple dos ftp commands to perform the transfer.

also make sure you're doing this on a wired connection to the router, and if you have windows 7 you may need a hot fix,  they had an issue with their TCP/IP stack recently. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/939006

JasonD52
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor

Message 12 of 18
(5,101 Views)

Wow, it seems the parental controls on the router was contributing to the discrepancy.  I turned it off and the Speakeay-type sites now show about  35 down and 10 up.  The Argonne link above gives 32 down, 34 up.  The good-ol Verizon site holds steady at 35.1.

Thanks everyone.

jumpin68ny
Gold Contributor VII
Gold Contributor VII

Message 13 of 18
(5,093 Views)

Pretty amazing the parental controls basically halves your download internet speed.  This is a feature that is probably implemented in software thus the reason its so slow.  I used to have a very high end corporate router that supported web filtering in hardware and kept the wirespeed routing of 20/5.

Glad it worked out.

Jim

rreichle1
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor

Message 14 of 18
(5,072 Views)

I am paying for 20/5 and not once have I gotten a test speed anywhere near that I am at the point where I am just going to drop the 20/5 an go with the standard speed.

I can't tell you how disappointed I am with this I had such high hopes when I made the switch that I would have this amazingly fast internet and it's no better than my lousy concast was.

I get a very consistent 5/5 that's about it and that's on the Verizon site or speediest or dslreports speedtest and for whatever reason I haven't bothered to even call I guess years of getting canned answers from my former provider has me to the point that I just accept what I get.

It certainly isn't a wired or wireless issue for me I get the same crap no matter what connection I am using.

Oh well anyone ever had a problem like mine get resolved?

JasonD52
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor

Message 15 of 18
(5,032 Views)

Have you run the FIOS optimizers (Mac or PC) and disabled any parental controls on your router?  That's where I's start.

jumpin68ny
Gold Contributor VII
Gold Contributor VII

Message 16 of 18
(5,027 Views)

JasonD52, did you read all of the comments?  Parental Controls was disabled and fixed the problem.

Jim

Hubrisnxs
Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III

Message 17 of 18
(5,020 Views)

@JasonD52 wrote:

Wow, it seems the parental controls on the router was contributing to the discrepancy.  I turned it off and the Speakeay-type sites now show about  35 down and 10 up.  The Argonne link above gives 32 down, 34 up.  The good-ol Verizon site holds steady at 35.1.

Thanks everyone.

parental controls in the 192.168.1.1   or in your verizon internet security center?

JasonD52
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor

Message 18 of 18
(4,994 Views)

Hubrisnxs, at "192.168.1.1"

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Have a spare Fios-G1100?Learn how to bridge it into your network
Get Started

Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.