Re: Speed Test Discrepancy
Hubrisnxs
Legend

@jumpin68ny wrote:

I set up an FTP server on my desktop and a friend who is also on FiOS but in Pittsburgh copied a file from me and the most we saw speed wise out of it was 142 kbps.  The file was 450meg and took a long time.  

How can I get better speed out of an ftp transfer that would give some good band width speeds?  My friend and I both have 20/5 service and I used cerebus ftp for the server and he used simple dos ftp commands to perform the transfer.

also make sure you're doing this on a wired connection to the router, and if you have windows 7 you may need a hot fix,  they had an issue with their TCP/IP stack recently. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/939006

0 Likes
JasonD52
Enthusiast - Level 2

Wow, it seems the parental controls on the router was contributing to the discrepancy.  I turned it off and the Speakeay-type sites now show about  35 down and 10 up.  The Argonne link above gives 32 down, 34 up.  The good-ol Verizon site holds steady at 35.1.

Thanks everyone.

0 Likes
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

Pretty amazing the parental controls basically halves your download internet speed.  This is a feature that is probably implemented in software thus the reason its so slow.  I used to have a very high end corporate router that supported web filtering in hardware and kept the wirespeed routing of 20/5.

Glad it worked out.

Jim

0 Likes
rreichle1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am paying for 20/5 and not once have I gotten a test speed anywhere near that I am at the point where I am just going to drop the 20/5 an go with the standard speed.

I can't tell you how disappointed I am with this I had such high hopes when I made the switch that I would have this amazingly fast internet and it's no better than my lousy concast was.

I get a very consistent 5/5 that's about it and that's on the Verizon site or speediest or dslreports speedtest and for whatever reason I haven't bothered to even call I guess years of getting canned answers from my former provider has me to the point that I just accept what I get.

It certainly isn't a wired or wireless issue for me I get the same crap no matter what connection I am using.

Oh well anyone ever had a problem like mine get resolved?

0 Likes
JasonD52
Enthusiast - Level 2

Have you run the FIOS optimizers (Mac or PC) and disabled any parental controls on your router?  That's where I's start.

0 Likes
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

JasonD52, did you read all of the comments?  Parental Controls was disabled and fixed the problem.

Jim

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

@JasonD52 wrote:

Wow, it seems the parental controls on the router was contributing to the discrepancy.  I turned it off and the Speakeay-type sites now show about  35 down and 10 up.  The Argonne link above gives 32 down, 34 up.  The good-ol Verizon site holds steady at 35.1.

Thanks everyone.

parental controls in the 192.168.1.1   or in your verizon internet security center?

0 Likes
JasonD52
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hubrisnxs, at "192.168.1.1"

0 Likes