Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get it fast with In-Store & Curbside Pickup or same day delivery.

Speed drastically reduced?

Bsztuk
Contributor
Contributor

Speed drastically reduced?

Message 1 of 2
(705 Views)

For about a year now, I have been running off of Verizon FioS with 15/5mb (download/upload speed).  When I woke up today, I was suprised to see that my browser was running with minimal performance (pages loaded very slowly, videos off youtube took forever to buffer). At first I thought that maybe someone in the house was downloading something, as that usually cuts down my speed by half, but when I checked, nobody was on any computer. Next I thought it was some kind of virus so I let my antivirus scan my computer while I turned on the xbox for some video games. To my disappointment, all of my online games were running terribly slowly, and if I tried to communicate with people, the lag would get to my mic. This was obviously an issue with the internet and not a console.

I let it go for a couple hours, hoping that it would fix itself, and well, it did...for a moment. While I was browsing the web, my pages all of a sudden ran much quicker. I did a quick check on speedtest and found this result: Speedtest normal . So for a moment, I was happy. As I continued to browse through the web, my pages began to load very slowly once again. Not even five minutes later, this was the result of a Speedtest.

Should I be concerned, or do these speed "spikes" happen every so often? If it is unusual, then is there anything that I can do? Thank you for your time.

1 REPLY 1
Smith6612
Platinum Contributor III Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III

Re: Speed drastically reduced?

Message 2 of 2
(641 Views)

The spikes can happen every now and again if there is a router having problems or a major circuit went down for whatever reason, but it should never be consistent or happening on a regular basis. If it continues, ask Verizon to take a look at your circuit.

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Have a spare Fios-G1100?Learn how to bridge it into your network
Get Started

Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.