Re: Speed issues in Montgomery County Maryland. DC Metro? Or everywhere?
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@kcb163 wrote:

I have been experiencing the same issues that everyone in this thread has, and I'm in Chester County PA.  I have been reluctant to call Verizon, so I decided to search around online and found this thread.

I just want to add something interesting to the conversation here, I don't know how many people will know what I'm talking about.

I think that this problem is on Verizon's end, and it has to do with traffic handling.  It seems to me that whenever my connection is slow, and I'm getting incredibly low results on speed tests, YouTube is incredibly slow to load.  By contrast, Netflix never has any problems.  YouTube is Flash, Netflix is Silverlight.

Also, I use usenet a lot.  Usenet uses NNTP traffic.  When downloading from usenet, even when getting super slow results on speed test, stays at a constant 3.5 MB/s, which is in line with my full Verizon speed.

In addition to never affecting my upload speed, I believe that these slowdowns are being caused by some sort of traffic handling on Verizon's end.  Every speed test I run that is based on flash gives me slow results, whereas speed tests based in java give me full speed.

Obviously I'm not going to waste my time calling Verizon and explaining this to 10 different people who will still think I'm the problem.  I find it very odd that some of my traffic is fine, while the rest has issues, but trying to explain that to a call center rep, then a tech, then getting the tech to convince his supervisor is just too much.  

Hopefully this gateway reset will work for some.

Is the problem with ALL flash sites, including for example, Metacafe or Vimeo or is it just with YouTube? YouTube always has their fair share of problems and are prone to slowing down due to unequal cache server load distribution, but it's unusual for other sites such as Vimeo to be slow for any duration of time. Also if you have the lastest version of Flash, it has been quite awful with handling higher speeds so that's something to keep in mind. Flash 10 used to not mind 100Mbps of the application wasn't quite optimized for it. Now, it's not uncommon for Flash to choke on high speeds unless an application is actually optimized to it. No clue what Adobe did there.

0 Likes
MDRyan
Enthusiast - Level 3
So got up this morning... Pinging sites seems somewhat better on some sites and remained the same speed test as usual during the day seem to be spitting back good numbers thankfully I've had good techs who do leave tickets open and follow up, basically they've told me to call them back till I can verify its doing the same thing... As of now I'm unsure but it does seem a little better, wish I had more of a definitive response. My tech guessed if resetting the central office pcard( or whatever they call it) then it was likely damaged and it's very expensive to replace...
Curt60
Enthusiast - Level 1

Kudos to MDRyan for your perseverance with Verizon.  I truly appreciate your extended efforts as I am sure everyone else who is affected by this problem also appreciates you efforts.

Performance of my 15/5 FIOS service does seem to be better today.  Since the start of this slowdown problem, my service would be good during the day but around 4 pm, download performance dropped off to a small fraction of 15 Mbps.  Today, the performance starting at 4 pm seems somewhat mixed although overall it is very much better.  fyi Over the past years I have used SpeakEasy speed test, so I continue to use it as my baseline.  I have tested with other speed test suites but do not any conclusive results.

During this problem period I have notice my local testing (Wash DC area) was affected but testing to New York area (per SpeakEasy) was always good.  Starting today, my Wash DC test is much improved but  the New York testing results are pretty bad.  Go figure.

Again, your efforts are much appreciated.  Thanks.

0 Likes
MDRyan
Enthusiast - Level 3

lol no problem curt this was actually like the worst week to be doing it (exams in college start rofl) 

Anyway I hope the resetting of the poncard helped someone, becuase my speed tests are pumping out 4mbs, and 5mbps right now 😞 😞 they're coming out Friday after my first exam lol he closed the ticket out 20 minutes before I started pinging and running speed tests again 😞 

This is pinging verizon.net (the site the field tech told me to ping) 

64 bytes from 206.46.232.39: icmp_seq=34 ttl=245 time=130.504 ms
64 bytes from 206.46.232.39: icmp_seq=35 ttl=245 time=85.228 ms
64 bytes from 206.46.232.39: icmp_seq=36 ttl=245 time=73.832 ms
64 bytes from 206.46.232.39: icmp_seq=37 ttl=245 time=87.699 ms
64 bytes from 206.46.232.39: icmp_seq=38 ttl=245 time=130.280 ms
64 bytes from 206.46.232.39: icmp_seq=39 ttl=245 time=87.524 ms
64 bytes from 206.46.232.39: icmp_seq=40 ttl=245 time=77.091 ms
64 bytes from 206.46.232.39: icmp_seq=41 ttl=245 time=86.033 ms
64 bytes from 206.46.232.39: icmp_seq=42 ttl=245 time=129.685 ms
64 bytes from 206.46.232.39: icmp_seq=43 ttl=245 time=134.090 ms
64 bytes from 206.46.232.39: icmp_seq=44 ttl=245 time=75.183 ms

Yahoo.com ping was timeing out and ranging from 400-1500ms (most between 800-1200)

Not sure what next plan of attack will be, and I doubt verizon would replace a 10k poncard (finally learned the name), if there are just a few cases being reported, probably tell me to deal with it our find a new isp lol

0 Likes
drago757

I am having the same problem is Verizon is acting like im crazy. This is really **bleep** me off because they are just flat out ignoring the problem. I live in Bowie MD and I am seeing the exact same thing MDRyan and have been for weeks!

0 Likes
Sadge
Enthusiast - Level 2

Still no good here (Charles County):

0 Likes
jackstraw532

Everywhere probably includes Pennsylvania, NJ, Del and MD.

0 Likes
MDRyan
Enthusiast - Level 3

Worse now cause they closed out one of my two tickets, the poor techs gotta come back and basically rebuild a ticket from scratch, honestly I feel as bad for them as I do for myself since its nothing here, and simply a CO bureaucracy tying up a fix.

@Sadge your flying compared to me bud lol I just got 1.7 (speedtest) and .9(speakeasy) AND THIS IS MY PAST TEST LOL

Checking for Middleboxes . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Done
SendBufferSize set to []
running 10s outbound test (client to server) . . . . . 26.94Mb/s (upload)
running 10s inbound test (server to client) . . . . . . 1.26Mb/s (download)

------ Client System Details ------
OS data: Name = Mac OS X, Architecture = x86_64, Version = 10.8.2
Java data: Vendor = Apple Inc., Version = 1.6.0_35

Sorry guys thought I had a shot at fixing multiple peoples lol, thankfully I've run into good people who seem to be trying to help

0 Likes
PookymeisterVZW

@kcb163 wrote:

I have been experiencing the same issues that everyone in this thread has, and I'm in Chester County PA.  I have been reluctant to call Verizon, so I decided to search around online and found this thread.

I just want to add something interesting to the conversation here, I don't know how many people will know what I'm talking about.

I think that this problem is on Verizon's end, and it has to do with traffic handling.  It seems to me that whenever my connection is slow, and I'm getting incredibly low results on speed tests, YouTube is incredibly slow to load.  By contrast, Netflix never has any problems.  YouTube is Flash, Netflix is Silverlight.

Also, I use usenet a lot.  Usenet uses NNTP traffic.  When downloading from usenet, even when getting super slow results on speed test, stays at a constant 3.5 MB/s, which is in line with my full Verizon speed.

In addition to never affecting my upload speed, I believe that these slowdowns are being caused by some sort of traffic handling on Verizon's end.  Every speed test I run that is based on flash gives me slow results, whereas speed tests based in java give me full speed.

Obviously I'm not going to waste my time calling Verizon and explaining this to 10 different people who will still think I'm the problem.  I find it very odd that some of my traffic is fine, while the rest has issues, but trying to explain that to a call center rep, then a tech, then getting the tech to convince his supervisor is just too much.  

Hopefully this gateway reset will work for some.

Chester County PA as well and i noticed the problem starting Oct 1st. Called support last night and told them it seemed like it was outside my network - especially since the in-home agent was constantly saying full speed (since that connects to Verizon Servers). They are sending a new router, since mine isn't the current model, but obviously that won't help.

What i'm seeing is a constant flip between full speed of 35 down/25 up to like 1down/15 up. 

I'll start a download and it will be going at like 150K, then a minute later ill start another and it will be 3.5MB down(from same site)

Good to see that it isn't just me, because I didn't feel like troubleshooting internal network anymore.

0 Likes
airjay81
Enthusiast - Level 3

I second the kudos to MDRyan. You have way more patience than I do to deal with FiOS customer service.  

Just one thing to add to the conversation. I have experimented some with speedtest.net and a few other online speedtests the past few evenings switching to different servers in the DC area (I'm in Fairfax County, VA). It is interesting because some of them will return great download and upload speeds and then I will switch to another one and the download and even the upload speeds will be abysmal. I really couldn't make out any discernible pattern. 

Since I don't have quite the patience of some of you, my solution will simply be to switch to Cox if this doesn't get sorted out. I have always found Verizon's customer service to be terrible anyways (as opposed to when I used to be with Comcast - could always at least find a human being to talk to).  Of course, in the past, the cable companies couldn't compete with Verizon's Internet speeds, but with this issue continuing, I think that will no longer be as accurate.  Could be worse too.  Who knows.  All I know is, it's easier to schedule an installation for new service with someone than it is to try to deal with Verizon customer service. 

0 Likes