Speed issues
wamiller

Over the last several weeks I have started having major response time issues with my FIOS setup.

I was one of the first subscribers to FIOS Internet when it became available and was also one of the first to add TV when it became available in my area so I have been on for several years.  My router is the D-link DI-624 with the latest firmware being from 2005.

I've started seeing huge variations in speed of websites loading, email checks, etc.  Problems are obvious on both computers in the house - one wired, the other wireless.

Speedtest.net almost always show a fast connection but sometimes even the speedtest page itself takes forever to load before it starts the test.  Last night I installed PingPlotter so that I could run some tests over an extended period of time.  The thing that jumps out first when looking at the PingPlotter results is the huge variance in response time from the dlink router itself.  The current test show the range of response times from router as being 1ms to 3260ms.

Anyone got any ideas or advice on what I can try?

Thanks!

Wade

0 Likes
Re: Speed issues
Provider7
Contributor - Level 3
Is that response time you posted, from your computer to the router, router to the first hop, 2nd hop, 3rd hop?  
0 Likes
Re: Speed issues
Arun3

When troubleshooting speed issues like this, I would suggest with a wired PC. May be from your wired PC, open up the router GUI and run ping/traceroute to one of the internet destinations and see what you get as response time to the first hop.

0 Likes