Speed problems with 150/65 service
kelemvor
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi,

I just upgraded my FIOS to 150/65 from 35/35.  With the old plan I consistently got 52/40 speeds.   I was getting about 95/43 after the line was upgraded and I was still using the old router with only 100MBit ports.  I used to also have a second router for GigE with jumbo frames on my lan.

They came today and delivered the new actiontec (rev I) router, and my speed has not improved at all.  I verified that my computers are connecting at 1000mbps/full.  9k jumbo frames are still enabled.  I can't seem to clear 100Mbps down.

My diag info from the speedtest yields:

Broadband Speed Test

Analysis information:

Checking for Middleboxes . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Done
SendBufferSize set to [522720]
running 10s outbound test (client to server) . . . . . 42.28Mb/s
running 10s inbound test (server to client) . . . . . . 95.66Mb/s

------ Client System Details ------
OS data: Name = Windows 7, Architecture = amd64, Version = 6.1
Java data: Vendor = Oracle Corporation, Version = 1.7.0_02

------ Web100 Detailed Analysis ------
Client Receive Window detected at 261360 bytes.
45 Mbps T3/DS3 link found.<-- ?? Where?
Link set to Half Duplex mode  <-- Which link?
No network congestion discovered.
Good network cable(s) found
Normal duplex operation found.

Web100 reports the Round trip time = 13.08 msec; the Packet size = 1452 Bytes; and
There were 224 packets retransmitted, 3047 duplicate acks received, and 3225 SACK blocks received
The connection was idle 0 seconds (0%) of the time
This connection is receiver limited 3.19% of the time.
This connection is sender limited 86.53% of the time.
This connection is network limited 10.28% of the time.

Web100 reports TCP negotiated the optional Performance Settings to:
RFC 2018 Selective Acknowledgment: ON
RFC 896 Nagle Algorithm: ON
RFC 3168 Explicit Congestion Notification: OFF
RFC 1323 Time Stamping: OFF
RFC 1323 Window Scaling: ON
Information: Network Middlebox is modifying MSS variable
Server IP addresses are preserved End-to-End
Information: Network Address Translation (NAT) box is modifying the Client's IP address
Server says [108.33.26.214] but Client says [192.168.1.123]

I know the PC and network interface (it's a Supermicro X8DAH+-f motherboard with dual Intel 82576 Gigabit adapters) is capable of greater than 100Mbps because I frequently exceed 300Mbps streaming video from this device to a playstation 3 in my entertainment center.

Here's a screenshot of the machine sending over 400Mbps to two devices on my lan (streaming to the PS3 and copying a large file to another computer) http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c224/kelemvor4/traffic.png The point being that the PC (and apparently the LAN side of this router) can handle more than 100Mbps.

According to the router's logs, the link rates on the COAX side should support better transfer rates than I'm seeing:

Jun 25 20:07:24 2012System LogLAN CoaxLAN Coax Link Rate <TX 232Mbps/RX 231Mbps>
Jun 25 20:07:23 2012System LogWAN CoaxWAN Coax Link Rate <TX 232Mbps/RX 239Mbps>
Jun 25 20:03:09 2012System LogLAN CoaxLAN Coax Link Rate <TX 233Mbps/RX 231Mbps>
Jun 25 20:03:08 2012System LogWAN Coax

WAN Coax Link Rate <TX 234Mbps/RX 239Mbps>

The router's traffic monitor shows 0 errors and 0 dropped packets on all interfaces.  Any suggestions other than call support?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Speed problems with 150/65 service
kelemvor
Enthusiast - Level 2

The tech came out and ran the new cable today.  Fixed everything up, I'm just giddy!

Somewhat of a surprise, it also increased the upstream so it is now at (actually slightly above) the advertised rate... Ping times dropped from 7ms to the test server down to 3ms!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
tdaignault1
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have had similar problems and have a thread running in here as a result.  So far no success, although I do have a trouble ticket in due to a Verizon Chat with tech support.  The network technician seemed to think there were issues with the ONT, but 24 hours later nothing has been fixed.  

Does your LAN actually show it's connecting greater than 100 Mbps?  I have a Gigabit NIC but I'm only getting a 100 Mbps connection with the router.  I CAN connect with a 1 Gbps connection using a switch to the NIC (w/o connecting to the router/interne.

0 Likes
kelemvor
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes, it shows Gigabit on all the LAN ports that are connected.  I can transfer within the LAN at well over 100Mbps, which tells me the problem is not likely on the LAN or PC side.  I am wondering if we're hitting a 100Mbit router (or a router with one of the ports pegged to 100Mbit by mistake?) somewhere on the VZ network between here and the test server (florida: 206.46.211.36).   I saw another thread where the guy reported he had to run ethernet from the ONT to the router, but that doesn't make sense in my case since the router reports over 200Mbps link speed on the COAX to the ONT.

0 Likes
kelemvor
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm pretty sure I found the answer after lots of research.  The problem as best I can tell is that my new BHR is connecting to the ONT over COAX rather than ethernet.  While the BHR supports MoCA 1.1, which could provide sufficient bandwidth (175Mbps MAC rate) the ONT only supports MoCA 1.0 which has a MAC rate of only 100Mbps.  The router log reports a 239Mbps PHY rate, which is not the same as the mac rate (and apparently they don't calculate on a linear scale). As I understand it, the solution will be to get ethernet run from the ONT to the router, and only use coax for the video.  This is also what I've seen numerous people post as a solution on various internet forums, but it was a little work to figure out why.

Going to call in the morning and see what they have to say about it.

Sources:

MoCA mac/phy rate specifications: http://www.mocalliance.org/aboutus/faq.php

ONT Specifications: http://www.motorola.com/web/Business/Products/Cable%20Broadband/Optical%20Network%20Terminals/ONT100...

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

Have your ONTs Switched to Ethernet, and have CAT5e of CAT 6 run to the router from the ONT. You may need to have an elextrician run this wire for you. I not believe Verizon will do it, unless your router is VERY close to the ONT.

I do not believe the MOCA works well, regardless of what the link rate shows. figure it this way Ethernet full duplex 1000Mbps mulitple wires on the cable.

Coax a single wire with a shield. I do not believe transmits and receives well at the same time, Half Duplex. 213 / 2 =  106.5 plus overhead for the MOCA protocol.

You need 1Gb Ethernet for all of the PC stuff to get 150Mbps. From the ONT to the router it needs to be 1Gb Ethernet . But your router still needs to be connected to the coax for the STBs and DVRs to get thier data.

Also read this, Web100 is obsolete. So the 45Mbps link it is showing in wrong. It is not accurate at higher speeds and does not work properly. I am achieving 84/39 on my 75/35 connection and it shows a 45Mbps Link if I use the older Web100 sites.

http://web100.org/

That is why speedtest.net has been, and now Verizon is running Oogla to get accurate speed tests.

web10g.org is not fully developed or implemented at this time. It is available, but not in use.

For proper testing of your high speed connection use the version of Verizon's test. Now I wish I was lucky and could get 150/75. but I am not on GPON at this time, and have had FiOS since 2005. 75/35 is my Limit on BPON. But I'm working on that.Smiley Wink

http://speedtest.verizon.com/fios300/

Read the part on this default page about higher speeds. It defaults to the lower speed test to give you details from web100 that are not correct.

http://my.verizon.com/micro/speedtest/broadband/

0 Likes
kelemvor
Enthusiast - Level 2

I called them.   Turns out the replacement of the coax with ethernet was on the original order, and the tech just didn't mention it to me.  Fortunately that meant the order was still open and he'll be back tomorrow to run the line.  

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Sounds like you've got the problem under control. Coax maxes at 95Mbps despite the ~250Mbps link rates (which are theoretical, and between the router and ONT you are using MoCa 1.0). When the tech arrives and installs the Ethernet connection, he sould confirm your connection is running close to or at 155Mbps/75Mbps which is what 150Mbps/65Mbps has been found to run at when pushed.

0 Likes
kelemvor
Enthusiast - Level 2

The tech came out and ran the new cable today.  Fixed everything up, I'm just giddy!

Somewhat of a surprise, it also increased the upstream so it is now at (actually slightly above) the advertised rate... Ping times dropped from 7ms to the test server down to 3ms!

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Sounds great! Hope you enjoy the service!

0 Likes
harley8004
Enthusiast - Level 3

Which cable did they run? Fiber, ether? I'm having the same problem you had. UPgraded the speed  to 150/65. tech came out on Monday 2 Jul. It was working (optimized all the machines, powered off then on) and we were cruising at 155/68. Tuesday Jul 3rd, everything changed. speed is about 94 or less down and about 50 to 68 up. guy came out unplugged the router and plugged directly into the ONT. Speed jumped up to 150 okay. you think it's the router right? wrong! he replaced it with another and we're at the same stage. lower speed then 150. so, i ask you did he replace the fiber to the ONT or the ether cable in you case. 10 feet of ether from one side of the wall to the other shouldn't cause the speed degradations but a bad batch or routers could be something to check. currently the router he replaced is the following

rev  L with a white sticker. he's on his way back with another router with a red sticker. supposively, they work best on the speed upgrade but hard to read because of the letter. i'll let you know when he brings the unit by today

0 Likes