Splitter question
SomersetSierra
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am a new Fios customer and recently had the installation done. Being that I was in the middle of a renovation, the tech only setup enough wiring to test the internet and boxes. Everything tested okay, aside from the wireless speeds slower than the 100/100 that was coming from the line. I am now wiring up the whole house and have some questions about my setup.  My setup is quite simple and I am the type of people that overthink and overdo pretty much everything. Thus far the wiring has gone fine, the whole house is getting CAT6 and RG6 quad. The first question I have is about the splitter coming off the ONT box, which is where I think I made my first error. Off my ONT box, I have run the RG6 to an amplified spliiter from channel master. It is advertized as have a return path for a modem, but after reading on this forum about MOCA, and amplifying bad signals, I feel I may have made a mistake. Any suggestions? Also, how do I start my own thread, so I dont have to jack others threads? Thanks

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Splitter question
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Many amplifiers are not designed for FiOS -- but instead provide a low frequency pass thru which is meant for standard cable and DOCSIS modems.   This kind of setup will not work with FiOS and in fact will break it.  FiOS uses MOCA for it's internet traffic (running Internet WAN at 1ghz and LAN at 1.1ghz.  All of the digital television runs below 900mhz.

As was indicated, you should not need an amplifier.  Just use a standard splitter rate for high frequency pass thru (most newer splitters are of this type and usually are stamped something like 5-5000mhz -- just watch out for older splitters which topped out around 900mhz).  Keep the distance between the ONT and any device thru as few splitters as possible using a typical christmas tree type split (split top for two, split each for 4, and then split each for 8 if necessary).   As the ONT is the device which is originating the coaz single (after converting it back from fiber), there is no degradation which is introduced by long cable runs from a distant head-end in a tradition installation from a cable company.

If for some ror some reason you need an amplifier, then you will need to engineer a bypass (by splitting, using a low pass filter on one have to block the MOCA signal before you run it thru the amplifier, and then reverse split to re-inject the MOCA signal after the amp).   Not needed really.

Keep in mind that your STB's need to reach your FiOS Router in order to establish a MOCA internet path for guide data and to any DVR boxes to enable remote viewing -- so keep the router and DVR's "closest" from a split perspective to the ONT as possible.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

No reason to use amplified splitter. Standard splitter will be sufficient.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@SomersetSierra wrote:

Also, how do I start my own thread, so I dont have to jack others threads? Thanks

Go to the forum and select new message at the top left.

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Many amplifiers are not designed for FiOS -- but instead provide a low frequency pass thru which is meant for standard cable and DOCSIS modems.   This kind of setup will not work with FiOS and in fact will break it.  FiOS uses MOCA for it's internet traffic (running Internet WAN at 1ghz and LAN at 1.1ghz.  All of the digital television runs below 900mhz.

As was indicated, you should not need an amplifier.  Just use a standard splitter rate for high frequency pass thru (most newer splitters are of this type and usually are stamped something like 5-5000mhz -- just watch out for older splitters which topped out around 900mhz).  Keep the distance between the ONT and any device thru as few splitters as possible using a typical christmas tree type split (split top for two, split each for 4, and then split each for 8 if necessary).   As the ONT is the device which is originating the coaz single (after converting it back from fiber), there is no degradation which is introduced by long cable runs from a distant head-end in a tradition installation from a cable company.

If for some ror some reason you need an amplifier, then you will need to engineer a bypass (by splitting, using a low pass filter on one have to block the MOCA signal before you run it thru the amplifier, and then reverse split to re-inject the MOCA signal after the amp).   Not needed really.

Keep in mind that your STB's need to reach your FiOS Router in order to establish a MOCA internet path for guide data and to any DVR boxes to enable remote viewing -- so keep the router and DVR's "closest" from a split perspective to the ONT as possible.

0 Likes