Splitters and Routers
bangorme
Enthusiast - Level 3

Got a problem solved using help I got here.   I needed to split an internet connection off from a coax coming into a Fios television box.  I used this solution:

>>

If you can't move the router for some reason (hooked to another PC maybe?), but the cable in your room is on the same cable plant (or you could use a splitter on the cable where the FiOS TV box is located) you can get a MoCA to Ethernet bridge ... here's the one I use:

ActionTec HME2200-02

One side plugs into the coax, the other side is an Ethernet port.   The adapter will automatically pair up with the FiOS router they installed.  You can find one online at your favorite South American River inspired e-tailer -- they run about $80.   You only need one (the router itself is the other "half" of the pair).

<<

The solution works great!  But now all the TV's in the house are losing their programs guides, so I'm wondering if there is something I did that is effecting how the boxes are communicating back to Fios?

This is how it is hooked up:

ONT (optical network terminal) connects to coax cable within house

Coax coming to my Fios cable box is split, one out to cable box and one out to ActionTec HME2200-02

Ethernet cable run from ActionTec HME2200-02 to computer.

I'm wondering if my splitter is not bidirectional and is keeping my TV Fios box from sending back?  So

1) How do I tell a "one way" splitter from a bidirectional splitter?

2) Would my cable box not being able to send back to Fios foul up the rest of the house in any way?

I'm concerned that the Bios repairman is going to come over tomorrow and blame my ActionTec HME2200-02 for the problem.

Thanks.

0 Likes
Re: Splitters and Routers
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Is the splitter rated for 5-1000mhz?   Some older and cheap splitters do not pass thru the higher frequencies properly.

Leaving the splitter in place, what happens if you pull the power cord on the HME2200?    Does the problem persist?

with the HME2200 power off, what happens if you disconnect it from the splitter (leaving the splitter in place)?  Does the problem persist?

What do you have connected to the out coax output on the HME2200?  

0 Likes
bangorme
Enthusiast - Level 3

@lasagna wrote:

Is the splitter rated for 5-1000mhz?   Some older and cheap splitters do not pass thru the higher frequencies properly.

Leaving the splitter in place, what happens if you pull the power cord on the HME2200?    Does the problem persist?

with the HME2200 power off, what happens if you disconnect it from the splitter (leaving the splitter in place)?  Does the problem persist?

What do you have connected to the out coax output on the HME2200?  

It's hard to answer some of your questions because the problem appears intermittently.  If I unplug my FIOS TV box for 30 seconds, then plug it back in again, the guide comes back.  I'm not sure if this is saved somehow on the box or has to upload like cable boxs.

I notice no change by powering off the HME2200 or disconnecting the coax from it.  I have nothing connected to the out coax output (it has a cap on it). 

0 Likes
bangorme
Enthusiast - Level 3

Oop, forgot to describe splitter (which I found in my stuff after my post):

Radio Shack 

2-Way Gold-Plated Bidirectional Splitter

Model: 15-2587 | Catalog #: 15-2587
Rated 5-1100 mhz
This splitter was used on my last Cox cable system and is known to work  bidirectionally.

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

OK ... all sounds good.   Your splitter is rated properly, although if you can get Verizon to give you one of theirs they would be better.   The cap on the end is the right answer ... just checking.   So ... for purposes of Verizon figuring out what's going on, what you're describing appears to have nothing to do with the HME2200 itself (since if you disconnect it, the problem persists).   So I would take that out of the picture if the Verizon guy objects and show him it still failing without it in the picture.

0 Likes