Splitting FIOS coax into TV and internet
NoBullMan
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi,

there are three outlets in my home: two connected to STBs and one to an Actiontec modem. I also have a wireless router; I have disabled wireless on Actiontec.

I was told that I can use splitters to split the signal into internet and TV on each outlet. I tried in with the outlet that goes to router and can't get it to work. I have a tv/monitor connected to my PC and thought I could watch TV on it (at east the cable channels) if I connect the coax from splitter to the monitor.

My question is how do I set this up on all three outlets to have both internet and tv access?

Do I have to have a separate router for each outlet that is split to provide both tv and internet?

If so, how would the additional routers need to be set up (they use the same intet address as the ActionTec and use different IPs locally (actiontec uses 192.168.1.1)?

Any help you guys can provide on how to set this up is greatly appreciated. I want o keep the wireless use to a minimum, this way I can connect XBox and PC connected directy to user supplied router as well as having STB accss.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Splitting FIOS coax into TV and internet
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Splitters should work as long as they pass two way and support at least up to 1000 mhz.

Internet over coax is done via MOCA.  You would have to use MOCA adapters if you wanted to do it over the coax.  Not the cheapest solution, but many have used it. You don't have to do anything odd with your internet devices.  They all talk to your router, whether you use MOCA, wireless, or wired ethernet.  If you just leave them alone they will be assigned the info they need to connect via the dhcp on the router..

View solution in original post

tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Splitters should work as long as they pass two way and support at least up to 1000 mhz.

Internet over coax is done via MOCA.  You would have to use MOCA adapters if you wanted to do it over the coax.  Not the cheapest solution, but many have used it. You don't have to do anything odd with your internet devices.  They all talk to your router, whether you use MOCA, wireless, or wired ethernet.  If you just leave them alone they will be assigned the info they need to connect via the dhcp on the router..

Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

NoBullMan wrote:

I have a tv/monitor connected to my PC and thought I could watch TV on it (at east the cable channels) if I connect the coax from splitter to the monitor.

Does that TV have a QAM tuner or only an ATSC tuner?  You must have a QAM tuner to watch the few unencrypted channels.

NoBullMan wrote:

My question is how do I set this up on all three outlets to have both internet and tv access?

This FAQ should help.

Can I get an ethernet connection in a room with only coax

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

I would suggest a good quality Bi Directional splitter so your router does not have issues with your other devices, or your STBs do not have issues. The coax needs to transmit and receive in both directions.

If you have Media Center available on your PC, you can install a QAM tuner card or USB device for your PC, and receive the in the clear, not encrypted channels. If you wish to get all the channels available with your FiOS subscription, you could use a cablecard compatible tuner, and rent a cable card from Verizon at I believe $4.95 a month. Silicondust has a three tuner model device, and these also act as DVRs. CetonCorp has 4 and 6 tuner models that can be USB, PCIe cards, or Ethernet devices. But this requires the use of your PC as a Home Theater PC. If you have the Media Center and Ethernet to another location, X-Box 360 can be used as an extender for the tuner, and drive another TV.

Also as stated, if your TV/Monitor supports QAM, I would suggest a good quality Bi Directional splitter so your router does not have issues with your other devices, or your STBs do not have issues. The coax needs to transmit and receive in both directions. If you TV supports QAM, you would need to connect the coax and go through the tuner scan setup for QAM, and also whenever you believe there might have been a channel lineup change, or relocation. Thus I use the third party tuner devices, and the guide supplied from Microsoft compensates for this when you set it up and state you have Verizon FiOS.

http://www.silicondust.com/

http://cetoncorp.com/

Or to convert coax to Ethernet, different MOCA adaptors. http://www.actiontec.com/products/14.php

Verizon MOCA adaptor coax to Ethernet.

http://www.actiontec.com/250.html

I have connected Media Center extenders over coax using MOCA.

If you are looking to connect something to a TV or even a PC without a STB or DVR, I would say cost is the deciding factor in regards to how it is done. I would say if you are going to purchase a device, purchase one that is not only QAM compatible, but also cablecard compatible.Like I said cost is the deciding factor, if you have QAM TVs that can get the un encrypted channels great, but if you want more, your must purchase hardware, or rent the hardware.

I am currently running 16 tuners on 2 HTPCs. 12 assigned to one PC for serving and recording, and 4 tuners assigned to another PC as stand alone. I power everything in my home from this with three cable cards at about $15 a month for the three cable cards. But the up front cost is steep.

Verizon is scheduled to have their Six tuner Server out at some point. Currently it is a box at each TV.

viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

Think I'll remove what I said as after reading all the responses it just reiterated what was already there.
I would say however that moca devices are not cheap and as you basically only are looking for internat access at each of the coax adapters your cheapest approach would be to get and configure as bridges a couple of old fios routers which are available fairly cheap on ebay.
0 Likes
NoBullMan
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks for the info, That did it. I got a mocha adapter and it is working fine, right out of the box.

0 Likes