Sporadic Wireless Problem
mrhubbard00
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hello,

Just this morning my wireless connection became very sporadic.  For one or two minutes it will work perfectly and then stop functioning all together, or become very slow.  There will be a long lag time before the internet page loads.  No matter where I put the computer in my apartment this seems to be happening.  Also, I've noticed that uploads have ceased to function entirely.  I am having this problem with both my Macbook Pro and my iPad.  When I am conne wired to the router, I have no problems.

A couple months ago I was told in this forum to change one of the channels on my router settings to help with slowness issues.  Is this something I should try again?  I can't remember quite how to do it.

Thanks!

Re: Sporadic Wireless Problem
lou611661
Contributor - Level 1

There are several things you could try,reboot the router,change the wireless channel,to change channels log into the router,at the home screen click wireless settings,basic security settings,the 3rd option down.

Hubrisnxs
Legend

the channels are probably your key to success.   open a browser, and go to http://192.168.1.1 user name is admin.  and the password is most likely the serial number found on the service tag of your VZ router unless you changed it. Once you login succesfully, go to the top and hit wireless, then on the left basic security.   then go to option 3 

like the above poster said and change it from auto to 11, put the check mark for keep settings after reboot, save it and try it. 

if it doesn't like 11, change it to 6, if it doesn't like 6 change it to 1. 

you should really only use those three channels.    one of them will be your magic number.

jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

Keep in mind too that other devices such as microwave ovens can create a problem with wireless LAN.  During the issue, are you running anything when the issue occurs?

Re: Sporadic Wireless Problem due to Microwave oven
myshabi

Hi,

I am also having a wi-fi interference problem due to microwave oven. As and when microwave is turned on then wi-fi connections drops on laptops and Kindle Fire tablet and it's reconnected when microwave is off. Fyi - Verizon FIOS wireless router is den or office where as microwave is in kitchen. 

Now did some research on internet to find any wi-fi analyzer which can detect microwave interference but they are expensive. So now planning to call Panasonic - microwave maker - to check with them if this microwave is leaking and causing interference.

But I will appreciate any help from Verizon community on this issue.

Thanks in advance.

0 Likes
Re: Sporadic Wireless Problem due to Microwave oven
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Well to be fair, Microwaves do pollute the entire 2.4Ghz spectrum when in use, so firing one up is going to affect anything on that band nearby in the first place. Now unless there's some really sensitive device or a noisy device such as a Cordless Phone or Baby Monitor also in the area, the Microwave is probably leaking a good deal of noise. You generally would experience a performance drop in the connection if a Microwave is on and you're near the Microwave, but not an entire drop. 802.11 tech is designed to take a good deal of noise before going out.

You can try changing the channels, but it may not help in this case.

0 Likes