Spotty wifi connection after 2 years, can I exchange my modem for another?
mullen1200

I have one of the nicer actiontec routers, wireless N, 4 ports doc 3.0 and all that. As long as I get the same or close I'll be ok. Can I  get one sent to me, and send the old one back.

0 Likes
Re: Spotty wifi connection after 2 years, can I exchange my modem for another?
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Welcome to the forums.  You're talking to other customers here.  Your issue looks like you need to talk to Verizon.  Click here for options: Contact Us

By the way, I'm not sure what you mean by "doc 3.0."  If you meant DOCSIS 3.0, then you may be talking to the wrong ISP.  DOCSIS is a cable modem standard.  FiOS does not use DOCSIS.  In fact, FiOS does not use modems.  Just routers.  If you really have DOCSIS modem, then you have a cable service from someone other than Verizon.  Probably Comcast or Time Warner.

Enjoy.

0 Likes
mullen1200

Thanks for the reply. Yeah I was being silly, I forgot docsis 3 was my old cable modem. Don't know what made me think it was that.  I was mainly wondering if a swap was even an option, before trying an hour and a half of troubleshooting on the phone, and then the only choice is for me to pay for the swap because they dont see anything wrong on their end. 

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Like I said, you're talking to customers here.  We only know what you tell us.  Nothing more.  When I seen inconsistent information like "doc 3.0," that causes me to suspect the rest of the information.  Now, it makes more sense.

I can't tell you what Verizon will do.  You really need to contact them to find out.  Call during normal business hours best results.

The Actiontec Rev I (which I think you have), is a decent router.  Range is okay but not fantastic.  The new dual-band Quantum router has about the same range on 2.4GHz.  5GHz tends to be less crowded, so it works quite well.

Electronic devices typically do not go bad gradually, let alone go bad after only two years.  It's more likely that your WiFi environment changed due more radios in your area.  It's unlikely that another Actiontec Rev I. will change things much. 

If you want help optimizing your WiFi on your current router, just say so.  To start with, define what you mean by "spotty."  Maybe I and other uses can offer suggestions for your problem.

Good Luck.