Switch Account

Stated Gigabit Speeds - Tested speeds at work & Home

Stated Gigabit Speeds - Tested speeds at work & Home

Highlighted
Contributor SBWZVFOKCIS
Contributor
Message 1 of 2
(178 Views)

I have a question. I recently upgraded to FIOS Gigabit connection. Without fail over two weeks, every day, at different times of the day I would test it. Again - without fail the Verizon speed test to my VZW Quantum router is over 900mbps up and down(interestingly enough even d/c from the ONT). Now from the The router to my device, it is always consistently around 700Mbps slower both up and down.

Now using the exact same device, NIC, & Cat6 cable at work , also utilizing a Verizon connection I get over 900mbps up and down. Being one of the Network Engineers I have tested many times. We have two providers and utilize an SD-WAN connection. If I switch to the other provider, speeds are still in excess of 900mbps. 

I would love for someone to try to explain to me why at home the connection will barely EVER give me over 200Mbps up and down. I have also chatted with Verizon support in circles about something has to be different on my end. The only thing different on my end, is I know I am the only one connected and testing. I'm not streaming a movie while testing or anything. At work, anywhere from 120-150 people will be on the network, and who knows how many videos are being streamed while I am testing. 

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Platinum Contributor III Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III
Message 2 of 2
(112 Views)

Each time you did the test, you tested the wired connection?

If you are talking about wireless, see Why your Wi-Fi is slow 

If you are the original poster (OP) and your issue is solved, please remember to click the "Solution?" button so that others can more easily find it. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the "Kudos" button.

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.