Static IP Address in Virtual Machine
mhiggins8450
Enthusiast - Level 3
Here's the scenario. I have FiOS internet and the Actiontec modem/router. The Operating System of this specific computer is Windows 7 Ultimate. I have a Virtual Machine running Windows Server 2008 Enterprise. I need to set up a static IP address within the Virtual Machine in order to set up that VM as a DHCP server. I spoke with a couple people and here are the two suggestions: - since the Virtual Machine shares the NIC of the host, set up the host computer with a static IP address and this will funnel down to the Virtual Machine - set up a second network adapter within the Virtual Machine What I would like to know is which option is better? Additionally, is there a better third option?
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Static IP Address in Virtual Machine
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

The golden question here is, how is the Virtual Machine configured to use the Host NIC? Is it a Bridged connection, so that it is pretty much a direct connection to the network (which also broadcasts a virtual MAC address) or is this a NAT configuration with the Host?

If you don't know this answer, tell us what VM Software you are running.

View solution in original post

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

The golden question here is, how is the Virtual Machine configured to use the Host NIC? Is it a Bridged connection, so that it is pretty much a direct connection to the network (which also broadcasts a virtual MAC address) or is this a NAT configuration with the Host?

If you don't know this answer, tell us what VM Software you are running.

mhiggins8450
Enthusiast - Level 3
Thanks for the quick response. I just confirmed that it's a NAT configuration.
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@mhiggins8450 wrote:
Here's the scenario. I have FiOS internet and the Actiontec modem/router. The Operating System of this specific computer is Windows 7 Ultimate. I have a Virtual Machine running Windows Server 2008 Enterprise. I need to set up a static IP address within the Virtual Machine in order to set up that VM as a DHCP server. I spoke with a couple people and here are the two suggestions: - since the Virtual Machine shares the NIC of the host, set up the host computer with a static IP address and this will funnel down to the Virtual Machine - set up a second network adapter within the Virtual Machine What I would like to know is which option is better? Additionally, is there a better third option?

I added a second nic to the machine and then allocated a static ip address to the nic properties on the virtual server.

You then have the choice in a multi subnet setup of having the virtual server running on a different subnet to the host machine.

Hubrisnxs
Legend

edit - These seem to be Private Static addresses, and not public ones.    

0 Likes
mhiggins8450
Enthusiast - Level 3
I read between the lines and I figured it out on my own. I changed the VM network settings to Bridged. I logged into my router and configured a static IP address for the VM's MAC address. I restarted the VM and configured the IPv4 network settings with the corresponding static IP address settings. I confirmed that I had network functionality and presto...I was able to configure my DHCP server within the VM. TY smith6612. Even though you didn't technically answer my question, you helped me answer the question on my own. 😄
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

No problem 🙂

oldbay71
If $$ isn't an issue, adding NICs is always the best option. Host and VMs shouldn't be sharing 1 NIC. Unless it's a home training lab.
0 Likes