Static IP assigned SMC7004BR used primarily as print server not responding
samharhiharan

I have an old SMC7004BR router connected to my Actiontec router so that I can use the printserver on it to print on a still excellent HP 6mp printer. I did this by assigning a static IP 192.168.1.51 to the SMC router. Things have been working fine for the last three years without a hitch, and I have been able to print from any computer (Mac and PC)  by using the IP address. 

However, after May 28, when I last printed on the printer, and left the US on work and came back on July 10, all of a sudden the printer now no longer responds to any print request from any computer. Nothing has been changed in the setup. When I check the Network by logging on to the network, it shows the device there but when I ping it I only get a max of 75% of the packets implying a minimum of a 25% packet loss.

Did Verizon change something on the Actiontec router (firmware?) that suddenly rendered my print server inoperative? Is there anything else I should try to get this working again besides trying a hard reset of the SMC back to its factory defaults and starting again from scratch?

Any help, suggestions from the experts here appreciated!

Sam

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Static IP assigned SMC7004BR used primarily as print server not responding
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@samharhiharan wrote:

I have an old SMC7004BR router connected to my Actiontec router so that I can use the printserver on it to print on a still excellent HP 6mp printer. I did this by assigning a static IP 192.168.1.51 to the SMC router. Things have been working fine for the last three years without a hitch, and I have been able to print from any computer (Mac and PC)  by using the IP address. 

Sam

Did you remove 192.168.1.51 from your dhcp pool?  Possibly an IP address conflict.

Try changing the address of the smc router to 192.168.1.251 and change the dhcp range on the Actiontec to not include anything above 192.168.1.250

View solution in original post

lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Any packet loss on a local LAN connection like you describe is not a good thing really.   I would move the ethernet cable to a different port on the router and reboot the SMC device before I went about a hard reset.

Are you connected LAN to LAN or WAN to LAN from the SMC device to the ActionTec?

0 Likes
samharhiharan

Thanks for your response.

I have powercycled the Actiontec and the SMC - seems to make no difference.

The connection is LAN-LAN. Which worked fine for the last three years. I am not sure what changed in the last month.

Will try your suggestions again.

Sam

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

OK ... if it's LAN to LAN make sure you switch LAN ports on both the ActionTec and the SMC.   Maybe you just have a port that went bad.

viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@samharhiharan wrote:

Sam

Did you remove 192.168.1.51 from your dhcp pool?  Possibly an IP address conflict.

Try changing the address of the smc router to 192.168.1.251 and change the dhcp range on the Actiontec to not include anything above 192.168.1.250

samharhiharan

I think it was an address conflict which suddenly happened after 3 years since I had assigned the SMC a static IP of 192.168.1.51 but had not removed that from the distribution list. I probably intended to remove it but when it started working fine, I probably forgot to change the IP distribution list. Now that this conflict showed up, when I checked the distribution list, I realized I had not done it. Funny it took 3 years for this mistake to show up!

I fixed it by assigning the SMC Barricade an address 192.168.1.251 and reducing the DHCP address distribution from 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.250.

That seemed to have done the trick and things are working fine again now.

Thanks to all the most helpful folks who offered me their help!

Sam

0 Likes