Static ip for cameras
Anderson7
Contributor - Level 1

I have a Verizon Quantum router.

Because the wifi is weak in parts of the house, I have an ASUS ACRH13 router in another room attached by ethernet cable to it. The ASUS is set as an AP.

Part of my home WLAN includes some ip 2.4 security cameras that go directly to a cam viewer app (not calling outside the home). To ensure continuous connection, I went into the verizon router Advanced Tab/IP Address Distribution/Connection List and set the camera ip addresses to static. I also gave them names to help me remember them.

Just now, the cameras stopped working and I discovered that was because their IPs had changed! Maybe when I rebooted the Verizon or ASUS router but I'm not sure.

So I went back to verizon router Advanced Tab/IP Address Distribution/Connection List. The static addresses were still there and marked as "static" but the cameras now had new IPs they are currently connected to!!! The old IPs no longer work in the camera app. The new IPs were also present in the ASUS connection list but the old static IPs were not there.

I don't understand what I am doing wrong. How do I prevent this from happening? I think the ASUS router is assigning new IPs (even though it is an AP) but I am not sure how to make them static there too.

I "think" I need to

1. In the Verizon router, delete the old static IPs

2. In the Verizon router, mae the new camera IPs static

3. In the ASUS router make the new current camera IPs static

But I'm no good at networks so I may be missing something here. And it is very frustrating.

Help appreciated.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Static IPs not sticking - Known Actiontec router bug?
Anderson7
Contributor - Level 1

Things are fixed now (I think).

A reply I sent seems to have gotten lost. So i may repeat myself. What worked was:

--removed power from all my cameras, so they were offline

--removed power from the ASUS router I'm using as an AP for same reason

--pressed reset button on the Verizon router for 15 seconds

--entered the new router password

--entered the new ssid and passwords

--Went to Advanced/IP Address distribution/connection List

--Edited the Network (Home/Office) distribution to limit the pool as follows:

Server 255.255.255.0 192.168.1.15-192.168.1.254
--Used "add Static Connection +" to add the mac addresses of the cameras with IPs in the range 192.168.1.(4-14)

--That registered correctly in the router.

Prior to doing that, the Verizon router would issue new ip addresses every few hours (5-6hrs I think). What's worse, the distribution list would show 2 different IPS for the same Mac device, only the newer one connecting. Weird. So far, this is not happening after the router reset.

Fwiw, I (who know nothing about these things) think that the router was corrupted possibly by interaction with the Asus router I was using as an ap to extend the wlan coverage range. I say that because I noticed and repeatedly mentioned that the list of connected devices and their associated IPs were different in the 2 routers. I don't think that should be if the Asus router is just used as an Access Point. Should it? But, so far things are fine with the 'static IPS' set outside the distribution range. I'll see if things go south again tomorrow. 

View solution in original post

Re: Static ip for cameras
Anderson7
Contributor - Level 1

Additional information:

I set the IP address to being static by selecting the entry in the distribution list and clicking on Edit and then selecting static. Maybe that is not the correct way to do it?

Also, one of the cameras currently connected, does not have its ip address appear in the Verizon distribution list, which I really don't understand.

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

If the Asus is in AP mode then it definitely shouldn’t be giving out IPs. The DHCP should be disabled. I would make note of the old static IPs and MACs and hard reset the router for 15 seconds and re-configure everything.

To set up static IPs try going to the “Advanced” tab. Then under Routing click “IP Address Distribution”. Click the red box that says “Connection List”. Go to the bottom of that page and you will see another red box that says “Add static connection +”

Anderson7
Contributor - Level 1

Thank you (instead of kudos which my browser won't let me do).

I will do as you say tomorrow.

Your help is much appreciated.

Anderson7
Contributor - Level 1

@Edg1 wrote:

If the Asus is in AP mode then it definitely shouldn’t be giving out IPs. The DHCP should be disabled. I would make note of the old static IPs and MACs and hard reset the router for 15 seconds and re-configure everything.

Just so I don't screw things up out of stupid ignorance, here is what I've done in preparation for tomorrow:

• I copy/pasted the old static IPs and MACs to a "Notebook" text file so they are accurate when I copy paste them back tomorrow.
  • I believe the ASUS is in AP mode. (Don't know what "Parent" AP mode means). Is it in the correct AP mode?
    image"Parent" AP mode
  • Here is (I think) the appropriate DHCP setting page in the ASUS. Is the ASUS DHCP correctly disabled? If not, what should I change?

imageASUS setting

• Finally, how exactly do I reset the router for 15 secs. (I presume you mean the Verizon router).

Thank you so much again! Networks and their termnology just get me all confused.

0 Likes
Anderson7
Contributor - Level 1

Or maybe this is the appropriate DHCP setting page. Is its DHCP turned off?

imageASUS DHCP setting page?

0 Likes
Anderson7
Contributor - Level 1

If "yes" button is selected (which is not clear on that screenshot) does this mean the Asus ruter is broadcasting its own IPs or merely transferring what the Verizon router is sending it? The instructions logic and network terminology is not clear to me.

That may be my core problem: both routers are sending IPs even though the ASUS router is set to AP.

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Here is the Asus page for setting AP mode. It says if in AP mode DHCH will be turned off. 

[Wireless] [Administration] How to set up operation mode- Access Point(AP) mode? | Official Support | ASUS USA
https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1015009/

Static IPs not sticking - Known Actiontec router bug?
Anderson7
Contributor - Level 1

This is getting really frustrating. On my Verizon "quantum" Actiontec router, when I set static IPs for devices, they only stay "static" for a short time, then they revert to DHCP. The listing in the router continues to show the previously set static IP as still static, but that IP no longer connects and there is now a new working IP generated by the router for that same device whose mac has not changed.

Is this a known bug?

Can it be worked around?

I have the latest router firmware update. Do I need a new router?

0 Likes
Re: Static IPs not sticking - Known Actiontec router bug?
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

I guess it is possible. Are you on MoCA or Ethernet? Sorry if you already mentioned it. You could try putting your Asus as the primary router and configuring G1100 as a MoCA adapter if you have TV.