Re: Static IPs not sticking - Known Actiontec router bug?
Anderson7
Contributor - Level 1

The verizon router is on coax Then there is an ethernet cable between the Verizon router and the Asus router which is set as an Access Point.

Thanks for replying and Happy New Year.

0 Likes
Anderson7
Contributor - Level 1

I do not own a MoCA box. Just the cable between the Verizon router and the Asus router.

I talked to Verizon tech support and they tell me this Actiontec router will not provide static IPs (despite it's setting page....) until I purchase a Verizon business connection which I don't want to do.

Is what you describe (reversing the router arrangement) a workable option to get static IPs from the ASUS router or am I up the creek without a paddle unless I drop FIOS? If yes, how do I do that?

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

I think the rep you talked to is confusing a static WAN IP and LAN IP.

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Happy New Year! If the VZ router is on coax you will have to get ethernet from the ONT to the router to be able to swap them. Not sure how hard that will be but I figured I'd throw it out there. 

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

It almost seems  like the SON upgrade has caused this bug. How long does it take from once you click Static IP until it pulls a different IP. 

Can you also put the static IP info into the device's settings too? Most client's network settings allow you to select DHCP or Static  IP.

Anderson7
Contributor - Level 1

That's what I thought too, but there was no arguing with her.....

0 Likes
Anderson7
Contributor - Level 1

I think you are correct. The SON upgrade did something because I was happy with things for a while before that.

The static IP now changes in a matter of hours, maybe 6-10hrs. Impossible to deal with.

I'm using this excellent app I've used for years (IP cam Viewer) on android devices

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.rcreations.WebCamViewerPaid

to to monitor cameras directly without passing to the camera manufacturers' home base.

Each camera emits a continuous image via the router on whatever IP the router assigns it. The app receives the image directly from the camera on whatever IP is set for that camera in the app.

This has worked for multiple years. The problem is that now the router keeps changing the IPs for the cameras so the mnonitoring app can no longer connect the cameras and they intermittently go out in turn. I have to determine the new IP and set that into the app.

Can the son upgrade be reversed? Should I give up on FIOS and its routers?

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yeah unfortunately the phone tech support is very limited. Other than what color lights the router should have and rebooting, they  aren't going to known alot of advanced stuff like static IPs.

I would try seeing if the DVR system can have a static LAN configuration. The only reason I say that is because my NAS harddrive and printer and set with static IPs and they never change IPs. I also didn't have any static routes configured in the router. 

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Unfortunately Verizon pushes their router upgrades so there isn't anyway to go back to old firmware. I wouldn't give up on FiOS. I would consider get an ethernet WAN connection and using your own router. 

Anderson7
Contributor - Level 1

I really get lost when dealing with Networks and routers. They just confuse me.

So please explain what you are suggesting I do to "I would consider get an ethernet WAN connection and using your own router". Not sure what that means. I already have an AC1300 ASUS router and would consider getting a different one if necessary. What setup are you suggesting and how do I do it specifically.

It's New Year's day so I understand if you would rather reply tomorrow. I just need to get this going and working correctly after having wasted so much time with it.

0 Likes