Re: Static IPs not sticking - Known Actiontec router bug?
Anderson7
Contributor - Level 1

Additional info:

The Verizon distribution list still shows that camera connected to the original ip, not the new 192.168.1.5 ip. I deleted the 192.168.1.5 static ip entry in the distribution list. (same mac!)

The Verizon distribution list still shows that camera connected to the original ip (not ....1.5) but it is marked as dynamic. (I'm sure I had once set it as static but it is now dynamic).

Did I mention I hate wireless networks?

Just rechecked and that camera is still connected to the original working ip, not the now deleted ......1.5 ip

0 Likes
Anderson7
Contributor - Level 1

It's after midnight and I'm going to sleep. But I checked and in several instances

1. the Verizon router will assign to the same mac a new ip.

2. The previous static ip is ignored and a new non-static ip is assigned by the router to the same mac address. This has to be a serious bug brought over by the update.

Strangely, on editing the newly assigned ip, the router will not let me change the identifying name (error says name exists) even though it has 2 listing for the same mac. I did not enter these duplicate macs manually. They are read by the router. And this happened for several camera macs. The router seems to have lost the ability to identify or record macs correctly.

This is crazy.

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

I would reset the router at for 15 seconds to clear everything out. Then login and change the DHCP pool and set up your static IPs. Don't plug in the cameras until all the configuration is done. 

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

There are two types of "static" IP address assignment.  Be sure you aren't mixing them, otherwise confusion can happen.

The first type is an IP address reservation managed in the DHCP server (i.e. router).  With this approach, the DHCP server hands out the reserved IP address anytime the specific client uses DHCP to request an IP address.  The client is identified by it's MAC address.  While this is often labeled "static" on the DHCP server's management interface, to the device it is a dynamic IP request.

The second type is a true static assignment on the device.  In this case, the device is manually configured to use a specific IP address.  This is typically done through a UI or configuration file depending on the device.  The device will not request an IP address from a DHCP server, it will simply use the configured IP address.  If this address conflicts with one used by another device, network problems will occur.  For this reason, it is critical that a DHCP server be configured to avoid the IP address range used for true static addresses and that good documentation of manually assigned IP addresses is used.

In this specific case, you're trying to use the DCHP server IP reservation approach.  This is my preferred approach, too, as it means I don't have to muck around with settings on each device and maintain manual IP address records.  Make sure your cameras should are configured for automatic IP address assignment, otherwise they will use their locally configured address and ignore the settings in the DHCP server.

Also know that when you change an IP address reservation in the DHCP server, the client won't pick that up right away.  It won't get a new IP address until it requests a new one, either due to upcoming DHCP lease expiration, a reset (hopefully), or a manually triggered IP address request.

I've been using a Verizon G1100 with IP address reservations for many years.  I've the latest firmware.  No problems at all.

Good Luck.

Anderson7
Contributor - Level 1

OK, here's what I have done.

--removed power from all my cameras, so they are offline

--removed power from the ASUS router I'm using as an AP for same reason

--pressed reset button on the Verizon router for 15 seconds

--entered the new router password

--entered the new ssid and passwords

--Went to Advanced/IP Address distribution/connection List

--Edited the Network (Home/Office) distribution to limit the pool as follows:

Server255.255.255.0192.168.1.15-192.168.1.254

--Used "add Static Connection +" to add the mac addresses of the cameras with IPs in the range 192.168.1.(4-14)

--That registered correctly in the router.

The app that monitors the IP camera streams has settings for each camera stream where I simply enter the static ip for that camera. (image uploaded previously). The app only looks at that camera ip. If the router generates a different ip, the app shows a blank screen. That's why I need static ips. I've used this app successfully for years.

I'll now see if this nightmare will finally resolve itself.

Questions:

1. I can no longer access my ASUS (AP router) via wifi. The ASUS router is connected by ethernet cable from the Verizon router. How do I determine the new ip address the Verizon router assigned to it? I searched in the distribution list but cannot identify it. The old ip address no longer works.

Thank you guys for helping. This has been a hasstle. Everything worked for years but somehow something changed about a week ago.

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

You are confusing a DHCP server reservation (static lease) with a device static IP configuration.  You want a DHCP server reservation (static lease), not a static IP.  The two are quite different and mixing them causes problems.

"Add Static Connection" creates a DHCP reservation on the router.  You need to do that within the DHCP distribution pool, not outside of it.  Otherwise, it won't work.

The range outside of the distribution pool should be used for true static addresses assigned at the device.

Check the cameras to make sure they aren't configured for static IP addresses.  Look for "manual IP address" or similar text.  You want automatic assignment so they get the IP address reserved on the router.  Any changes to IP address reservations won't be picked up until the camera renews it's IP address lease.  You'll have to check the camera documentation to find out how to force a lease renewal.

I haven't followed the details on your Asus AP, so I've little to say about it.  You should be able to find it's IP address by checking the connected devices list on the router.  Look for it's MAC address, which may be printed on it's label.  Once you find it's entry in the DHCP table, you can edit it to make it "static lease," too.

Good Luck.

Anderson7
Contributor - Level 1

Thank you for your input and clear explanation gs0b.

I think I now see what you mean. You are correct, I am more than a little confused. It's been a frustrating time with the router becoming corrupted and driving me crazy by repeatedly assigning different IPs to the same mac devices with both mac/ip sets appearing in the connection list!! Hopefully, now that I reset the router the router will work correctly. Besides, I'm an end user who does not really understand wireless networks. But I think I now see the difference between a

DHCP server reservation (static lease) and a

static ip.

I was not aware of the difference. 

So, I will delete the static ip setups I made outside the ip pool and remake them within the distribution pool. Hopefully, now that the router has been reset and (perhaps) no longer assigning new ips to the same macs (!), the DHCP server reservation (static lease) will work correctly and the cameras remain connected to their assigned IPs.

Thank you for your help and explanation. 

Anderson7
Contributor - Level 1

Just wanted to add that the cameras are not set to a static ip. They get an ip assigned to them by the router.

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Ok I came home and plugged in my G1100. I go to...

Advanced > IP Address Distribution > Network(Home/Office) > Edit

• Set my DHCP pool to 192.1681.11 to 192.168.50 then Apply 

Connection list > Add static connection +

• Host Name: Mac ( Make your name something like the camera location or cam1)
  • IP Address: 192.168.1.2
  • MAC : Mac's MAC Address then Apply

Also set my phone as 192.168.1.3 and both been up and running for over 2 hours. How long is it once you configure the camera until it pulls another IP?

Anderson7
Contributor - Level 1

Things are fixed now (I think).

A reply I sent seems to have gotten lost. So i may repeat myself. What worked was:

--removed power from all my cameras, so they were offline

--removed power from the ASUS router I'm using as an AP for same reason

--pressed reset button on the Verizon router for 15 seconds

--entered the new router password

--entered the new ssid and passwords

--Went to Advanced/IP Address distribution/connection List

--Edited the Network (Home/Office) distribution to limit the pool as follows:

Server 255.255.255.0 192.168.1.15-192.168.1.254
--Used "add Static Connection +" to add the mac addresses of the cameras with IPs in the range 192.168.1.(4-14)

--That registered correctly in the router.

Prior to doing that, the Verizon router would issue new ip addresses every few hours (5-6hrs I think). What's worse, the distribution list would show 2 different IPS for the same Mac device, only the newer one connecting. Weird. So far, this is not happening after the router reset.

Fwiw, I (who know nothing about these things) think that the router was corrupted possibly by interaction with the Asus router I was using as an ap to extend the wlan coverage range. I say that because I noticed and repeatedly mentioned that the list of connected devices and their associated IPs were different in the 2 routers. I don't think that should be if the Asus router is just used as an Access Point. Should it? But, so far things are fine with the 'static IPS' set outside the distribution range. I'll see if things go south again tomorrow.